Is 1080 HD?

Sully

So, in my quest to cut the cord, I purchased a box to watch tv, movies, etc. What I'm finding is that all of the tv shows are 720 at best, and it's grainy as shit. The hdmi input on my tv is set to 1080, the box is set to 1080, gold plated hdmi cable, 30Mbps internet speed tested through the box. It's horrid trying to watch tv shows through this damn thing.

So, I emailed their support asking them if I'm doing something wrong or streaming the wrong thing, etc. Here's his response....

"I don't think there are many tv shows is 1080. But 1080 is not HD. 720 is HD. "

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 1080 is HD. Discuss, please.

Of course 1080 is HD. You either misheard them or they're a potato. Most TV shows on normal cable are broadcasted in 720p though, and some are 1080p.

That was a direct copy/paste from an email he sent me; not misheard. I'm returning this effing thing. They are idiots.

Does that box connect directly to a coax cable outlet on the wall or to your modem/router? My bedroom 1080 TV is connected straight to a coax and the best resolution it gets is 480 without a cable box.

It has Ethernet and wifi. I tried both. Picture quality was the same.

I would be less concerned about him arguing the semantics of which signal is HD and be more worried about the crappy picture. 720 should still look good. " All thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumbs"

This....but it sounds like you already sent it back.

Though the 720P I got from AT&T (as it was claimed) sucked compared to the same 720P I got from Time Warner.

720 shouldn't look bad unless you're on the most modern high tech 70+ inch screen.

55" or under 720 should still be pretty darn good.

Sounds like an issue with whatever that equipment is to be honest which it sounds like you've already rectified by sending back and figuring out a different solution.