Woodworking guys, where to buy picture frame molding in lengths locally?

justinwebb

Looking to make some custom picture frames for the GF and not wanting to get it custom made but looking to make it myself. Anyone know locally where I can get different types of picture frame molding in lengths? Didn't see anything at the normal places like hobby lobby or michaels or home depot.

I don't recall seeing stock like that anywhere. I would contact Woodwerks or Woodcrafters, both here in Columbus, they may have some ideas. Could you maybe use something like crown molding or some other type of trim stock? I'm curious what you find, I would be interested in making some frames as well.

From personal expirence crown molding for homes is usually (but not always) too thin to use for traditional picture framing. It's good for mixed media framing where the work is on something stiff like a metal plate or a wood board, but there is not enough "meat" to rout out a channel deep enough to handle a pane of glass, a matte, the image, and a backing.

I think hobby lobby can sell you framing supplies cut to length but that's expensive. I thought I saw some at wood crafters and they have kits so maybe if you can find a kit larger than what you want to do and cut it down?