CriCri MC-10 - world's tiniest twin-engined jet.

zeitgeist57

Hp is meaningless in the context of aircraft, it's thrust that's important.

It's not that far from being a motor glider.

The engine configuration is interesting. Wonder how it affects engine on vs engine off flying characteristics.

Hp is meaningless in the context of aircraft, it's thrust that's important.

It's not that far from being a motor glider.

The engine configuration is interesting. Wonder how it affects engine on vs engine off flying characteristics.

Uh no HP is what makes thrust. Believe me going from a 65hp Aeronca Champ to a 85hp Piper Cub is a huge difference same as going from a 165hp Piper Cherokee to a 185hp Cherokee. Also anything with more than 200hp requires you to have a high performance rating for your license in order to fly it.

Hp doesn't make thrust. Thrust is the amount of force the engine generates in a static environment, hp is the amount of work being done over time (p=F*d/t). They use HP for the ratings because it's easy and universally understood, but when you think about it many variables like pitch of prop and number of blades can have an affect on efficiency (although no longer popular people used to fly Cubs with a one bladed prop for this reason).

I wouldn't say that "people used to fly cubs with a one bladed prop for that reason" they only made maybe a handful of those so it wasn't exactly a popular option but I digress I suppose more than one pilot flew one so yes technically "people" did fly them. OK to simplify things for a given pitch different HP ratings will result in different thrust. Now please come back with an overly complicated explanation to explain theory's involved in simple stick and rudder flying.

OK to simplify things for a given pitch different HP ratings will result in different thrust.

assuming we are comparing two identical engines.

Now please come back with an overly complicated explanation to explain theory's involved in simple stick and rudder flying.

I don't have to, all you have to do is read this link...but to save you time I have excerpted the relevant passage:

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/propulsion/q0195.shtml

...you may be wondering why jet engines or rocket engines are rated in units of thrust but propeller-driven engines are rated in units of power. For example, the F119 turbofans used on the F-22 are rated at 35,000 lb (310 kN) of thrust each and one of the main liquid rocket engines of the Space Shuttle produces 418,000 lb (1,860 kN) at lift off. Meanwhile, a turboprop engine of a C-130 is rated at 4,508 hp (3,362 kW) and the piston engine of a Cessna 172 generates 180 hp (135 kW) of power. Why the distinction?

The answer relates to the fundamental way in which each of these engines works. Turbojet, turbofan, and rocket engines all work by directly accelerating a fluid to produce a thrust force, so it is most straightforward to rate these engines in terms of the size of that force. A piston engine, turboprop, or turboshaft is designed to perform mechanical work that turns a shaft. In other words, the engine creates a torque, and we saw earlier that one of the forms of the power equation relates power to the amount of torque created over time. The shaft that such an engine turns is connected to a propeller, which is an aerodynamic device that converts that power into thrust. The engine itself doesn't produce the thrust, but it turns a propeller that does. Also, two engines that generate the same power may not necessarily result in the same thrust since one may use a more efficient propeller than the other. For these reasons, it is more logical to rate these kinds of engines in terms of the power they create since that is the most direct quantity they produce.

Do they make something like this with a passenger seat and maybe room for 2 luggage bags? If so, I'm getting my license in the next couple of years :cool:

I want to say someone was working on a kit to convert a Long-EZ to jet power. I think there is at least one out there flying. There was talk about racing them a while back as well.

If you are starting now....gonna be a long time before you move up to jets.

The racing EZ's were rocket powered but I think you are right that someone is developing a jet powered EZ

It's a great platform for it if you think about it. I did a quick google search and found this:

http://www.ez.org/t/Longez-jet

There is also Frank Dasmacci's cozy jet conversion.

and you are right xcor did the rocket conversion for the racing series that never happened and used velocity airframes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XCOR_EZ-Rocket

It's a great platform for it if you think about it. I did a quick google search and found this:

http://www.ez.org/t/Longez-jet

There is also Frank Dasmacci's cozy jet conversion.

and you are right xcor did the rocket conversion for the racing series that never happened and used velocity airframes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XCOR_EZ-Rocket

The only problem I can foresee with a jet powered EZ is slowing it down to land, might want to fit some speed breaks on that thing lol

Hp doesn't make thrust. Thrust is the amount of force the engine generates in a static environment, hp is the amount of work being done over time (p=F*d/t). They use HP for the ratings because it's easy and universally understood, but when you think about it many variables like pitch of prop and number of blades can have an affect on efficiency (although no longer popular people used to fly Cubs with a one bladed prop for this reason).

HP is perfectly legitimate to use and talk to when comparing prop or jet engines. We use HP in rocket engineering work as well