CarMax Inspection problems?

zeitgeist57

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/10/ca-court-rules-carmax-inspection-checklist-isnt-think/

Is anyone surprised about this? Every time a hurricane/flood/massive line of thunderstorms rolls through the country I think about all the flooded vehicles that people are trying to jam through auction.

I don't fault CarMax as it's still the 800lb gorilla in the used car market, but quality's suffered...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/10/ca-court-rules-carmax-inspection-checklist-isnt-think/

Is anyone surprised about this? Every time a hurricane/flood/massive line of thunderstorms rolls through the country I think about all the flooded vehicles that people are trying to jam through auction.

I don't fault CarMax as it's still the 800lb gorilla in the used car market, but quality's suffered...

I am. I don't know if the individual stores are franchises or corp owned but this sounds like an isolated store dropping below the state standards in which they are allowed to operate as a certified car dealer. I imagine each state has their own rules as to how they regulate car dealers and what is required in Ohio isn't necessarily required in cali. It is probably the individual store's manager not understanding his state requirements and defaulting to the "corporate standard" which is just not allowed in California.

It probably means that CarMax should review their compliance policies and take the standard business world approach that it is a best practice to do your most onerous state's requirements for all the stores.

Standing from the outside and being friends with numerous people on the inside, most of which are on this forum. I'll say that I was fairly impressed with their processes beginning with whether a car is kicked to auction or even allowed inside for the initial inspection.

We are also talking about California here, they will literally find anything to complain about.