Exhaust smoke and stinch. Not oil or coolant.

nurkvinny

01 Tahoe LT 4x4. 5.3l. 190,000 miles. Idles and runs great. Today a very foul smoke started coming out of the tailpipe. It is very much like burning plastic mixed with a hint of electric fire. Is not something stuck to piping, smell is inside exhaust. Oil full and smells ok. What in the hell could make its way into the exhaust and burn? Smells nothing like a converter and nothing like oil or coolant.

check to make sure oil isn't going through the EGR and into the intake? also make sure nothing is jammed in the tailpipe?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4344634-my-exhaust-smells-like-burning-plastic/page3 - egr fixed his?

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/exhaust-smells-like-plastic-burning-97751/ - message this guy?

So how do you go about finding, then removing, this crap? I'm stuck parking outside again, and wouldn't be too surprised to find such critters taking advantage of my car as well.

Check your airbox frequently if able, also under engine covers. Those are the two most common in my experiences. Hard to prevent this stuff when parked outdoors unfortunately.

Check your airbox frequently if able, also under engine covers. Those are the two most common in my experiences. Hard to prevent this stuff when parked outdoors unfortunately.

Airbox is easy enough, but what about Nurk's muffler bandits?