Help, my basement wall is leaking

smokin5s

The pipe is Coper not PVC.... so far that ground setting has busted the main drain, cause me to have to have the septic reset, drain re-done, electric dug up and re-ran (just finished that a month ago) and now this.... I've owned several houses of the course of my life and I have never had issues like this from the ground settling.

There is a PVC sleeve that should go around the pipe. There is sealant between the PVC and the copper water main, and the PVC is sealed to the foundation.

http://www.homeownersnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/P2603.4-water-pipe-break-protect.jpg

ahhh make sense. Well I can't see that, that sealant that looks like cheap concrete... that's what's eroded away. I wonder if there's no pipe in the wall and they just stuffed it with the sealant. It's a poured wall basement if that makes any difference

OK, so an update on this. last spring, my sump pump 3 inch buried pipe got clogged with mud and stuff. I put a temporary fix of the pipe above ground and planned on replacing the buried pipe over the summer. But then I got sick and chemo and everything took up all summer and the pipe was still out there. I never glued the pipes together because it was a temporary thing but it's turned out to not be so temporary. Well that pipe blew apart and the sump was pouring water right where the water line is and saturating the ground. I put together the pipe again and got water away from the foundation and the drip stopped within about 5-10 minutes. I'm wondering if it just looked for the easiest way in and that's why it was doing that and that the patch might actually be my better solution. Especially with everything freezing around us. thoughts?

That is your problem, and keeping the water away will cure the issue.the water from the sump was finding its way down the foundation and into the water line.

That is your problem, and keeping the water away will cure the issue.the water from the sump was finding its way down the foundation and into the water line.

well ya, that's what I just said.. My question that I was wondering was should I put that quikrete hydraulic water mix where the water has corroded out on the wall for extra protection?

Hydraulic cement really has a hard time adhering to plastic, so some sort of silicone style sealant may work better. The key is to keep the water away from the foundation. Code says that copper pipe must not touch cement, brick or other masonry material directly due to the concern of corrosion over time. The newer wall penetrations have a pvc sleeve that is sealed,to the block, and a rubber grommet that seal the water line to the sleeve.

well ya, that's what I just said.. My question that I was wondering was should I put that quikrete hydraulic water mix where the water has corroded out on the wall for extra protection?

well ya

Is there a downspout/ rain gutter nearby that could be leaking water close to that area where the water comes in the house?

Who said that ?

Ugh speaking of basements and water my sump pump drain pipe froze yesterday. My 2" pipe blew off my sump pump and sprayed water everywhere until I could unplug the cord. After trying to snake the pipe I finally dug around it outside and cut it. I need to install a T for a clean out for any future issues.

well ya

Is there a downspout/ rain gutter nearby that could be leaking water close to that area where the water comes in the house?

Who said that ?

The downspout is about 15 feet from where the water line comes in. I think the sump pump line was the cause of the leakage... Basement is now dry although everything is frozen so it's hard to tell what fixed it. I'm keeping a bucket under there for the time being to make sure that nothing happens.

Ugh speaking of basements and water my sump pump drain pipe froze yesterday. My 2" pipe blew off my sump pump and sprayed water everywhere until I could unplug the cord. After trying to snake the pipe I finally dug around it outside and cut it. I need to install a T for a clean out for any future issues.

You'd figure that there would be some sort of pressure sensor on the pump to turn it off if it can't pump through... especially for the price of these things.