Help me pick a truck

Lauren

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I didn't realize every last one didn't include literally every single one I've ever know anyone to drive personally. Weird that 100% means not near 100%. :lolguy:

Just because it didn't happen during your ownership does not mean it didn't happen before or after you owned it.

The logic you are using is "Well I know 40% of the population gets cancer, but of the 100 people I know no one got it, so no way that can be right"

:lolguy: I thought you were smart?

5.4 2V

-Blows plugs out (rare) or they are stripped out (slightly more common)

5.4 3V

-Cam phasers fail, sounds like the powerstroke everyone wants then

-Plugs snap off in the head, this is every single truck. At least one will break, if it doesn't, buy a lottery ticket.

Yenner seems bored today.

Yes. And? :)

Had a 5.4 expedition ran that bitch to 200k with doing the bare minimum maintenance. Never skipped a beat till 200k. Get a nice 4 foor f150 thats my vote

Then what'd you do with it? :gabe:

Just because it didn't happen during your ownership does not mean it didn't happen before or after you owned it.

The logic you are using is "Well I know 40% of the population gets cancer, but of the 100 people I know no one got it, so no way that can be right"

:lolguy: I thought you were smart?

5.4 2V

5.4 3V

-Plugs snap off in the head, this is every single truck. At least one will break, if it doesn't, buy a lottery ticket.

40% of the people in existence have cancer? That's MUCH higher than I imagined.

Like I stated in every post I've made, YMMV and everyone else will tell you that what they have or haven't owned and have or haven't had experience with is the best Lauren. I believe NB stated this as well and I agreed. :)

Merry Christmas to all!

06 Tundra here. I've had it for 4 or 5 months now and love it. For 2 months I was hauling everything I owned in it daily and using the 4x4 daily with zero issues. No big failures yet for me at th 150k mark. Timing Belt and water pump replaced when I purchased it at 140k.

They hold value well if you think it's something you're going to be selling in the future. You also might have an increased budget by the time you find the one you want with a limited budget.

I was shopping for at least 4 months before I got behind the wheel of one. Toyota does have the frame rot issue.

The chevy 1/2 tons are best IMO on quality, durability, and cost. Having owned Ford F-150 and chevy 1500s I would never own a triton motor f150. I'm a dodge owner/fan and if I ever needed a small truck (1/2 ton) I wouldn't hesistate to buy another chevy.

I had a F-150 and HATED it... it had transmission issues AND IT RUSTED OUT FROM UNDERNEATH ITSELF. I had under 100k miles on it and I had to use zip ties to hold the radiator in place. I would steer far away from the F-150 platform.

I replaced it with an Avalanche and have loved it. It would probably fit the bill of what you're wanting. it has 4 doors, is comfortable, has enough power to pull anything that a non-diesel can pull, and has plenty of storage available.

I had a F-150 and HATED it... it had transmission issues AND IT RUSTED OUT FROM UNDERNEATH ITSELF. I had under 100k miles on it and I had to use zip ties to hold the radiator in place. I would steer far away from the F-150 platform.

I replaced it with an Avalanche and have loved it. It would probably fit the bill of what you're wanting. it has 4 doors, is comfortable, has enough power to pull anything that a non-diesel can pull, and has plenty of storage available.

Avalanche and Tahoe share same frame/suspension. Same year 1500 will have a higher towing capacity with the leaf springs.

In case OP plans on towing with the next truck.

I found a 08 tundra limited with 140k miles on it for $14k that I'm going to look at tomorrow. Also in the running is an 06 Titan XE at the same dealership. Both are exactly what I'm after. Top of my budget but willing to spend a bit more for them.

I never considered avalanches but there are decently priced for 07+ ones and seem to fit the bill. I'll check them out if I don't like the Titan or tundra.

As far as towing I would like to get a boat this summer so able to tow a boat or if I find a car I want to flip able to tow it.

Buying a truck was the worst experience ever. Set a budget, find the lowest mileage and least rusty truck you can. I see that you mentioned a boat and a car as possible towing items. The other thing to consider is whether or not you can live with a short bed, or do you need a long bed.

I was set on a GM 5.3 product, but after not having the resources to find one out of state due to everything in the state of Ohio being rotted out and high mileage I finally decided on a Tundra.

The Tundra has enough of a towing capacity for an open trailer, the 6 1/2 foot bed does what I need it to do and build wise they are solid trucks. The downsides are obviously fuel economy (Toyota trucks are not known for great economy). Real world I am seeing like 12mpg on a '05 V8 4WD. The second thing to consider is timing belt service. It's one of the only trucks that uses a timing belt.

I ended up with an '05 with 155K on an original timing belt (yikes) for around $11.5 out the door.

As far as the other makes, Dodge/Ford/Nissan would be my bottom 3 for sure. My reasons are based on interior quality and maintenance and frankly the details aren't worth wasting keystrokes on.

[emoji38]guy: I thought you were smart?

5.4 2V

5.4 3V

As far as the 2v issue.... as long as they are installed and torqued(tight) should be no issues....

And i swore they made a revised 1 piece plug that would fix the breaking off issue....

The phaser thing is pretty much one thing that will probably happen no matter what.... so cant say much about that one.

My plan next truck i get is any 2011+ f150 they all have awesome motors now specifically the 5.0!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Any non DOD 5.3 Chevy truck will be the most affordable and relaible truck you can buy, period.

The Toyota and Nissan trucks are Fanboy turcks that are severly overpriced for what you get IMO. If you are lookingat those. May as well consider a Ridgeline as well.

+1 to this.

Any non DOD 5.3 Chevy truck will be the most affordable and relaible truck you can buy, period.

The Toyota and Nissan trucks are Fanboy turcks that are severly overpriced for what you get IMO. If you are lookingat those. May as well consider a Ridgeline as well.

The 5.3 GM's are nice, but their maintenance is almost worse than the Tundra imo. As a diehard Subaru/Toyota guy there was no reason for me to go 'Murican other than fuel economy. The GM's were equally overpriced in my search.....a comparable year GM for what I paid would have over 200K and be rusty AF.

I found a 08 tundra limited with 140k miles on it for $14k that I'm going to look at tomorrow. Also in the running is an 06 Titan XE at the same dealership. Both are exactly what I'm after. Top of my budget but willing to spend a bit more for them.

I never considered avalanches but there are decently priced for 07+ ones and seem to fit the bill. I'll check them out if I don't like the Titan or tundra.

As far as towing I would like to get a boat this summer so able to tow a boat or if I find a car I want to flip able to tow it.

If you have any questions about a tundra shoot me a message.. I know a thing or 2 about them.

Best thing is they hold value great.

If you have any questions about a tundra shoot me a message.. I know a thing or 2 about them.

Best thing is they hold value great.

Other then the fact the wife loves how they look, the resale is very important for me. Willing to pay a little more upfront for one knowing I will probably get it back in the end.

Couple things. First, taking a shot at you. Has it been over looked that twinkle toes is scouring for credit on his man car this week. I mean, buying a bow and now a truck, there's hope for you yet.

^^ The guy who wrote that is an asshole. Moving on. I've not commented here, but have been on the truck watch for quite some time. Yenner's damn truck is a nightmare to me, because it's well priced and all I really need for right now. I wish someone would just buy the thing so I know it is gone. I wrestle many of that same features you said you were after. A month or two ago I wrote up a long thread about buying a truck, and then deleted it. Much of what I was looking for is covered in this thread. Reading the replies here have all been helpful, but also made me realize, I'm not getting a truck anytime soon. Good luck in getting what you want.

2000ish Chevy Silverado with the 5.3

This. I have a 2001 with 190k on it and it runs like a fucking tank. 8 foot bed, short cab, 4x4. Rusty as a mother and I beat the hell out of it with the rentals. There are times I hook a trailer up to bring it to the dump and it tows 2-3k lbs of trash like it's no ones business.