Help me pick a truck

Lauren

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys I need a truck. Looking for 10-12k and under. Has to be quad cab so all four of us can fit. What should I buy? Thinking f150, Titan, something from Chevy or ???? I literally know nothing about trucks

I recommend F150, but most people know that.

I will say that my brother has a Titan ext cab and my buddy Justin at Pickups Plus loves his Titan. I was "meh" on them until I took bro's to the mountains on hunting trips twice. Performed marvelously.

Many here will recommend GM's. I loved my '78 but I don't really like the newer ones. Mostly personal opinion.

They're all really comparable with newer models if all you're looking for is a 4 door family hauler than can handle a load larger than just groceries but don't need to bother with hauling lumber and supplies for work every day.

I recommend telling Jordan, "I need a 4 door no older than (year) with these options. Must be one of these makes and under this amount of miles. I have this much to spend." Then ya just sit back and wait for the call.

In the end, for what it seems you need, Ferd, Cheby, Nissan, or Toyota would do you well. Hell, probably Dodge even. :lol:

Stay away from 5.4l fords

Ah, the ol' spark plug rocket issue?

This is good advice but also was a probably in a small percentage of trucks. I've seen the 5.4 issues pop up on trucks under 80K but also seen dad's 5.4 2007 go to 160K with no problem and since it was so clean and well maintained bring him a hefty trade in towards his Ecoboost. He got it in '09 with I think ~40K on it, drove it to 160K and traded it in in 2015. Paid $17K out the door, got $13,500 trade in all those years and miles later.

Wasn't bad for a 5.4l. Regularly pulled a 2500 trailer and large tractors from C-ville to Adams Co. easily too.

Can used Ecoboost's be had for that low yet? I genuinely have never looked.

Come to think of it, if we meet up you can shoot any combo of firearms, my crossbow, compound bow, and drive a 98 JAG150 (for no reason whatsoever), a 2012 Titan, 2014 F150 Ecoboost, and whatever year my Father in Laws Chevy is, and whatever year my Brother in Laws Chevy is...if we meet at dads that is. He's got the land to shoot and everything would be there since the FiL lives on the same road out in the country. :)

Think these should cover all future replies.

"why not spend 5k on a truck and build a twin turbo garbage can with the rest"

"you should get an suv because you can get third row seating and fit more people"

"in that price range you can also find some pretty cool fbodies. They have 4 seats and are faster. Trucks lol."

"everything anybody posts here is junk except for the brand I say"

"Laurens wife/gf will make him buy a beige Accord so this thread is dumb"

Had an 07 Harley F150. Bought the tool for the plugs. No big deal on those. The timing tensioner leaking and the cam sprockets were my final straw at trading it in. If you want some options you could probably still get the same body style king ranch or platinum for your price range. There are "kits" to eliminate the timing adjustments on the sprockets and flashes.

"you should get an suv because you can get third row seating and fit more people"

"in that price range you can also find some pretty cool fbodies. They have 4 seats and are faster. Trucks lol."

giphy.gif

Already own a new odyssey minivan and a 535xi wagon. No need for SUV's or shitty F bodies.

What I need is a truck to haul crap with. Oh I also bought a crossbow so naturally I need a truck so I can start hunting :lol:

Already own a new odyssey minivan and a 535xi wagon. No need for SUV's or shitty F bodies.

What I need is a truck to haul crap with. Oh I also bought a crossbow so naturally I need a truck so I can start hunting :lol:

1) What crossbow? This is very important to...well, just me.

B) What are you looking to haul?

Really upping the man card tiny dancer :lol:

:lol:

2000ish Chevy Silverado with the 5.3

Another good suggestion.

or even an avalanche if you'll only use it for light duty things

http://images.amcnetworks.com/ifc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Hyde-8.gif

Ah, the ol' spark plug rocket issue?

This is good advice but also was a probably in a small percentage of trucks. I've seen the 5.4 issues pop up on trucks under 80K but also seen dad's 5.4 2007 go to 160K with no problem and since it was so clean and well maintained bring him a hefty trade in towards his Ecoboost. He got it in '09 with I think ~40K on it, drove it to 160K and traded it in in 2015. Paid $17K out the door, got $13,500 trade in all those years and miles later.

Wasn't bad for a 5.4l. Regularly pulled a 2500 trailer and large tractors from C-ville to Adams Co. easily too.

Can used Ecoboost's be had for that low yet? I genuinely have never looked.

5.4's break plugs off in the head and have cam phaser issues. Its not a small percentage its every last one.

5.4's break plugs off in the head and have cam phaser issues. Its not a small percentage its every last one.

Wow. I didn't realize every last one didn't include literally every single one I've ever know anyone to drive personally. Weird that 100% means not near 100%. :lolguy:

Look, as stated, everyone will have an opinion. NB put it best in that regard.

Hell, my 1998 has ~290K and I drive it to Cbus from Logan daily without a hiccup. Others would say they knew a friend of an uncle who had a dog that their sister owned whose previous master had a 1998 F150 and it didn't last 14 miles.

Find a good deal for YOU and go from there.

Best of luck.

Meh with the quad cab requirement its what popped up the most on autotrader

:lol:

I don't really disagree. I just don't like them. It wouldn't be bad for a fam and small loads.

Brother looked at a Wrangler, Avalanche, and Titan. Settled on the Titan and hasn't regretted it.

They're fine though. I just think they're ugly. Same with the friggin' Ridgeline.

Stay FAR away from f150.. You can get some low option crew max tundras for around that price... But I would go with a crew cab silverado if it were me.

As stated...

Haul tables and chairs , sound equipment, kids bikes and my bike, Home Depot runs etc. I want to buy a boat so perhaps needing to be able to toy a pontoon.

Got a Barnett crossbow after you spoke so highly of them.

1) Great crossbow. Can't wait to shoot it with ya. :)

2) Don't listen to pundits (me included if seen as such) when it comes to trucks. Find a DEAL.