Family hauler for 6-9k

10phone2

My wife and I have gotten to the point that we need to move on from her Impala without going into debt after tax time. With as much as she travels for work between Columbus and Dayton, a lower mileage car around 100k miles and something RWD/AWD would be more peace of mind for her. The following year, I would take hers and then we would get a new car for her depending on if our financial situation continues to improve.

If you wouldn't mind, can you provide some insight as which car models you would lean towards. Were not going the mini-van route and need a back seat that can seat 3, so Honda Elements appear to be out unfortunately.

The models were learning towards are in no particular order from 2005ish:

-CRV

-G35

-Legacy or N/A WRX

-Acura RL AWD

I have noticed 1 out of 4 adds for anything Subaru related has servicing records that includes head gasket being done so I am not sure if that is an issue to worry about regarding the Subaru 2.5's. I did find a WRX wagon for 6k that had 60k miles but she flat out said nothing from the 90's.

Thank you for you time and feedback

The back seat in a CRV is not very big. If the kids are small, maybe but I wouldn't want to squeeze 3 in with car seats.

You said you don't want a minivan but remember what Clark said... "You think you hate it now but wait till you drive it."

Maybe an older Dodge Magnum, Pacifica, etc or one of the "it's not a minivan. It's a SUV" vehicles. Good luck

My brother and his wife both have CR-Vs, and they seeminly love them. They don't have kids, but they have 2 labs they haul around just fine. I know you said you were against vans, but our Odyssey does everything my wife needs it to, and the resale you are looking for is definitely there. If you buy right, you can drive it for a year for little to no money.

Tom

Thanks for the feedback so far. I did see the RAV4 above and thought not bad. I will have to run it by my wife to see if she would cave on the no mini-van route. I didn't anticipate to find Trailblazers with 70k miles for $8,000 so that maybe another route. I thought they would be more than that.

It was a green WRX auto N/A wagon. It was from 96 and had 60k miles on it. I just looked for it again and it's not on Autotrader anymore.

its not a WRX.. its a outback sport wagon. The WRX wasnt in the US till 2002. Up til then it was impreza RS/ Outback SPort

OBS

http://i.imgur.com/up37fISl.jpg

As far as the headgaskets go- They are a weakspot in the subarus, but as long as they are maintained, the engine itself is likely sound.

at 100K- Timingbelt/water pupmp should be done as well

its not a WRX.. its a outback sport wagon. The WRX wasnt in the US till 2002. Up til then it was impreza RS/ Outback SPort

OBS

http://i.imgur.com/up37fISl.jpg

As far as the headgaskets go- They are a weakspot in the subarus, but as long as they are maintained, the engine itself is likely sound.

at 100K- Timingbelt/water pupmp should be done as well

My apologies. Thanks for the correction and info regarding the engines

Thanks for the links Paul. I think I will have to see if she would be willing to go this route. There are alot of pluses given the fuel economy and mileage.

Mazda5!

When you say 3 in the back seat, does that involve car seats?

I hate to say it, but I had a close friend have a Mazda 3 fall apart at 60k miles so I have admittedly stayed away from 2000's and newer since then.