Drones

SPL_Josh

I don't know of any specific local laws other than the occasional TFR for VIP into John Glen. I'd expect more changes before the year is over. They thought part 107 would be the fix to 333. Thousands of people have taken the steps to get lisenced to continue business use and flight plans are not being approved. A higher court has finally accepted a case from an operator vs the FAA for this reason. The next step will probably be more restrictive. Sorry for sounding so pessimistic about it but spending a few thousand on an inspire I can fly around my back yard has me pretty fired up.

I have a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced.

Technically you need to register your drone and yourself on the FAA website and get a ID number which MUST be visible on your drone. you also technically need to follow all these guidelines.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf

The typical things they say is that your aircraft will be in line of sight all the time, not over large groups of people and some other stuff. I have never really followed these rules to a T, but I have never had any issues. The only advice I would really say is that you should ALWAYS have your FAA ID card on you when flying... even on your own property just in case someone decides to be offended that your flying and call the cops.

The DJI drones (most of them) have invisible fences on "No Fly Zones" and the drone will warn you before takeoff if you should or should not be flying in that area. If its something small like houses or businesses you can disregard the warning and fly... but if you are near an Airport or government building then the thing will not even move.

I've registered but I mostly fly out at my place in the country.... only thing I have to worry about is crop dusters during that season, other than that... no problem. If you want to fly in a safe place as long as people aren't tearing up my property and know how to fly so they don't fly into my buildings, they are more than welcome flying here if they want to take the drive.

Link to a good starter drone that is easy to use, takes decent pics, and isn't crazy expensive?

I have 0 experience with this drone, but i know the Phantom 3 takes some amazing pics/videos

http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-P3-STANDARD-Quadcopter-Camera/dp/B013U0F6EQ

Link to a good starter drone that is easy to use, takes decent pics, and isn't crazy expensive?

https://www.amazon.com/Cyclone-Channel-Quadcopter-2-4Ghz-Ready/dp/9269803724/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485955973&sr=8-2&keywords=v262

I highly recommend as a starter drone. Easy to fly, cheap and big enough to see... there's tons of mods for it to make it faster, have better battery life, etc... You can also hook up things like cameras, bubble blowers, squirt guns, etc. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

I used to fly drones. As soon as the FAA regulations came in, I sold it all off and stopped flying altogether. Not interested in having my fun regulated.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Yeah but they are necessary, I've already caught a drone off my wing at a higher altitude then me over what looked like a school. I've seen what a bird does, I'm sure a plastic toy will do same damage if not more.

I have a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced.

Technically you need to register your drone and yourself on the FAA website and get a ID number which MUST be visible on your drone. you also technically need to follow all these guidelines.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf

The typical things they say is that your aircraft will be in line of sight all the time, not over large groups of people and some other stuff. I have never really followed these rules to a T, but I have never had any issues. The only advice I would really say is that you should ALWAYS have your FAA ID card on you when flying... even on your own property just in case someone decides to be offended that your flying and call the cops.

The DJI drones (most of them) have invisible fences on "No Fly Zones" and the drone will warn you before takeoff if you should or should not be flying in that area. If its something small like houses or businesses you can disregard the warning and fly... but if you are near an Airport or government building then the thing will not even move.

So I won a Phantom at my work Christmas party and have not done anything with it other than take it out of the box. I read the initial direction and it was very adamant about not getting the battery wet so I was going to wait until it was dry out to fly.

I have not registered myself and wasn't planning on it...is it really a big deal to fly just for recreation/taking pictures and not be registered? Potential penalties if caught, etc?

-Marc

I agree, the DJI Phantom 3 is a great starter Drone. I did a shit load of research before making my purchase last summer and the Phantom 3 "Advanced" and "Pro" versions are the ones to get. A Phantom 3 Advanced is not to crazy expensive for what it does. Things like Waypoints, circle a target, and follow target are awesome when they work in an open field. my BIG WARNING would be to only use OEM add-ons and batteries for your drone. I got a few OEM spec batteries off Amazon for half the price of the DJI ones and they caused my first drone to fall out of the sky. I was very lucky that DJI replaced mine.

I have not registered myself and wasn't planning on it...is it really a big deal to fly just for recreation/taking pictures and not be registered? Potential penalties if caught, etc?

-Marc

I have never actually been asked to show my FAA card, but I have never wanted to risk it. In a day and age when ANYONE can get "offended" that you are flying a drone and call the cops, it's always safe to air on the side of caution. it was only $5 when I did it and mine says its good until 2019. I saw a video on Youtube a while back where a guy was flying his Phantom 2 in a soccer field where no one was playing. About 400-500 yards away there was a group a girls practicing and one of their parents drove over and started ti question the guy as to what he was doing. Keep in mind, he was nowhere near the other folks and his drone's camera was not even pointed at them. This dad comes hard in the paint asking all these questions trying to get the guy to admit he was "filming" his daughter and then he called the cops on him. Lucky for the drone pilot, all his GPS and video data was logged to the foot on Google Maps. He explained things to the officer and was on his way... The best part was that most cops don't know that drones have to be registered so the one in his video never asked for his card.

I'm no expert, but I have ~98 flight hours under my belt. If you ever need info feel free to let me know :)