Hard to find body parts... where to find them?

99StockGT

As many of you may know by now, my Stealth was hit while sitting outside my house a few weeks back. I can fix all the mechanical stuff however the body is becoming an issue. Anyone have a go-to place for hard to find panels? With the low production numbers and model specific moldings a rear 1st gen RT/TT bumper is hard to find!

There's one that's been on eBay for a while but the mounting holes are pretty screwed, hard to stomach buying a pre broken body panel. 'hep me CR, 'hep me!

parts car?

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5945495213.html

I hate to say it but as the really complex cars age out and parts aren't available it might pay to find a ratty, no title, car just to have a donor sitting around for when you need it.

I unfortunately agree with you, this car has been my radar since it was initially posted. Though I realllly don't want to add yet another car title to my pile it's certainly an option. Part of what I enjoy most about the car I own is literally every option works, however maintaining some of those will get very very complicated in the near future I'm sure.

So yes, this is an option but I would prefer to have some other options that won't tempt me to build ANOTHER car I don't need!

I realllly don't want to add yet another car title to my pile it's certainly an option.

Well the nice thing about that 40K mile car is it has no title :p

Part of what I enjoy most about the car I own is literally every option works, however maintaining some of those will get very very complicated in the near future I'm sure.

Give it time. I'm currently parts hunting stuff for dad's C4 zr1 and although the car mostly works now, he's stockpiling for when stuff does break. One of the things that makes C4 zr1's so cheap is because there are almost no parts for them. The viper and Lotus from the same era now carry a premium in comparison because parts are accessible (even if things like hoods are "expensive").

So yes, this is an option but I would prefer to have some other options that won't tempt me to build ANOTHER car I don't need!

So don't be tempted. Ge a clear shelf and take everything off the bodyshell, put it in bags, and label it. No shell/vin to build - no temptation. Plus you'll know where all your parts are.

Well the nice thing about that 40K mile car is it has no title :p

No title=Racecar

I know myself, the modification disease with me is STRONG and with yet another turbo charged power plant sitting around...it's only a matter of time...

I've spent a pauper princes savings on keeping this thing in the shape it is with all things working. Even replaced the rear steering rack and lines when they were leaking despite the fact that EVERYONE deletes it.

With the way older cars are getting taken off the road, a parts car maybe the best bet. Its unreal how much has changed on the used car market in the last 5 years.

Totally agree. Even stuff I lusted after when I had a lot more disposable income pre-kids I wouldn't even bother with because of the headache. I miss my old C4 Corvette but I laugh when I meet another GM LT1 guy because the aftermarket has written off that car from a cost-benefit standpoint. In a way, if you're going to go C4, you might as well get an L98 so you're still surrounded by Holley/Edelbrock stuff, but I digress...

Here's to the dreamers.......but so many cars out there are destined for obscurity.

Unfortunately with the RT / TTs there are a lot of specific parts to them that ONLY came on this gen and package. So of the 4k that were built over the 3 year span, looking for one that's got what I need after 25 years is a little... tricky :(

Wasn't IPS a national shop for those cars once? Perhaps see if Jeff/Turbotrio is on here still and would have any leads.

There has to be a forum dedicated to them, so also check there. Rx7club is where I get most FD parts that are no longer available.

IPS was one of the few who actually "worked" on them, that's part of what them off the ground in the first place. However in their later years they were more hoarding than working and focused on their growing LS business. There IS a forum for them, however even there "part outs" are rare and typically mean I'm buying yet another car to cannibalize