Instructor And Student Killed At SpeedVegas

ShowHBK

Ah, well, meh. Maybe they shouldn't allow open face helmets with no eye protection then, but everyone does.

no they shouldn't.

What does a helmet protect from in a car with no cage? it isn't going to protect you from a roll over, that's the roof's job. And it's not protecting you from a concussion from your head being flung about or whiplash (that's the headrest's job). It is really meant to protect from something loose in the car bonking you on the head and cracking your skull or something caving in and bonking you on the skull.

I think the logic behind a 3/4 helmet in a street car with airbags is they don't want the airbag deploying into your full face helmet chin bar and the helmet then injures you. I am not saying it's scientifically sound logic, but I can see how someone would think that makes sense. No eye protection for anybody? well that just isn't thinking it through.

These "super-car" experiences are not the same as an HPDE or an autocross. They are meant for people who don't have the means to own an exotic car to scare themselves shitless driving something whose power levels can't even fathom. As such the courses aren't usually even as good as older race tracks (runoff too short, wrong barrier type and placement, etc) and a staff in charge that doesn't always make savvy decisions to protect it's clients or instructors (like running a course reverse to what it was designed without considering the barriers as we saw last year). The gamble with the odds that the driver will crap themselves long before they get in any really dangerous situation and the instructors are just there to keep people from getting in over their heads, not to give them any real lesson on high performance driving. But like any risky event shit happens and then it's a tragedy.

My fear is that places like this will give a stigma to real driving schools like bondurant and skip barber and make it harder for those places to operate due to rising costs when they aren't in the same class.

You want to learn HP driving, go to a real school at a real track (Skip Barber, etc). Pay the premium it's worth it. You want to tell your wanna be Lambros that you took a coke white hurrican 160mph down a back straight and then brag about screwing a $1200 an hour call girl in your room at the bellagio right after to work the Adrenalin and 4 redbulls out of your system then Speed Vegas is your place.

Won't embed, but this was my sesson there.

I cant believe anyone complained about that.

You have to remember that 95% of the people they probably take have never been on track. I think this was perfect, and looked like fun. It was obviously that Joe was ahead of the pack as he passed about everyone.

no they shouldn't.

What does a helmet protect from in a car with no cage? it isn't going to protect you from a roll over, that's the roof's job. And it's not protecting you from a concussion from your head being flung about or whiplash (that's the headrest's job). It is really meant to protect from something loose in the car bonking you on the head and cracking your skull or something caving in and bonking you on the skull.

I think the logic behind a 3/4 helmet in a street car with airbags is they don't want the airbag deploying into your full face helmet chin bar and the helmet then injures you. I am not saying it's scientifically sound logic, but I can see how someone would think that makes sense. No eye protection for anybody? well that just isn't thinking it through.

Helmet is most definitely for protecting your head from hitting hard things in the car (even non-cage cars) and not from loose crap. Many accidents are strong enough that your head will contact the door frame, roof, or B pillar if you have one.

Eye protection is always a good idea but hard to reinforce. I've been caught with stuff coming in the car during normal driving while my visor was up. You'd be surprised how much tire slag comes off of car with sticky rubber.

And it's not protecting you from a concussion from your head being flung about or whiplash (that's the headrest's job).

Did anyone else picture football players with headrests attached to the back of their helmets or just me? Just me? Ok...:fa:

TIL heads only fling directly backwards in a trbl auto accident. The more you know...

Helmet is most definitely for protecting your head from hitting hard things in the car (even non-cage cars) and not from loose crap. Many accidents are strong enough that your head will contact the door frame, roof, or B pillar if you have one.

Eye protection is always a good idea but hard to reinforce. I've been caught with stuff coming in the car during normal driving while my visor was up. You'd be surprised how much tire slag comes off of car with sticky rubber.

The wife was in a really bad accident a long time ago shortly after getting her license. Stop sign on a blind intersection-hill to the right and downhill curve into trees to the left- she was hit in the passenger side by a dude going 60 in a 35 and hit her head on the passenger side door.