BeamNG.drive

zeitgeist57

My 5-year old son is very interested in this game. We have a iMac as the home computer, and it seems like this program is very memory-intensive. I try to not buy any programs, because there is enough good content for free these days.

Anyone have experience with this game? Looking for recommendations on this or other similar modern driving simulators. Thanks!

It's really fun to play and mess around in. It's more of a CPU intensive game when you jack the settings up based of the Maximum settings only asking for a GTX 780, which is a graphics card that is getting up there in age. Having said that, according to their website the game is NOT Mac compatible, so you will need to install Windows via Bootcamp or find a decent gaming desktop running at least Windows 7 or higher.

https://wiki.beamng.com/Requirements

The system requirements are as follows:

Max Settings

CPU: High-end Intel i5/i7 or High-end AMD 6 Core or better

RAM: 8GB DDR3

GPU: GTX 780 or better

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (64 bit) or newer

Med Settings

CPU: Mid-end Intel i5 or equivalent

RAM: 4GB DDR3

GPU: GTX 560 or equivalent

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (64 bit) or newer

Min Settings

CPU: Desktop i3 or equivalent

RAM: 4GB

GPU: GTS450 or equivalent DirectX11 compatible card

Windows 7/8 (32bit or 64bit)

As for similar games out there... Not many games like BeamNG Drive exist.

The ONLY other game I can even think of would be "Next Car Game: Wreckfest". I can't get to any system requirements sites for this game as most are blocked here at work, however I can guess that since it is a similar title that the requirements would be about the same.

Most modern games will ask for a quad core processor, 4GB of RAM, and a DirectX 12 based Graphics card with at least 2GB of V-RAM... If you have these things then you should be good to go.

Hope this all helps :)

Edited by ShowHBK

Thank you, Mike! I appreciate your techie skillz.

I'm going to let him down easily that you need a gaming rig to play something like this...and then I'll need to explain to a 5-year old what a "gaming rig" is. :lol:

Anytime man, Let me know how that goes, haha :lol:

I own it, have a good amount of hours into it, have done modding and the campaigns... It has come a long way in the last year as far as optimization, but the nature of the game makes it VERY CPU intensive.

If you want to ruin your kid and get him to nag you to drop $2k on a gaming PC for the next few years let me know and you can borrow my rig for an afternoon :lol:

For anyone else that is interested, this game lets you do everything. Has crazy physics. You can mod the cars. You can break every little part. You can rev cars until belts snap or oil overheats. You can see how long you go with a damage radiator, drive conservatively and it'll cool down a bit. It is much more than a racing game.

I own it, have a good amount of hours into it, have done modding and the campaigns... It has come a long way in the last year as far as optimization, but the nature of the game makes it VERY CPU intensive.

If you want to ruin your kid and get him to nag you to drop $2k on a gaming PC for the next few years let me know and you can borrow my rig for an afternoon :lol:

For anyone else that is interested, this game lets you do everything. Has crazy physics. You can mod the cars. You can break every little part. You can rev cars until belts snap or oil overheats. You can see how long you go with a damage radiator, drive conservatively and it'll cool down a bit. It is much more than a racing game.

I could not agree with this more. The game is extremely fun to mess around in. They have a level you can load that is a sort of "torture chamber" for cars with crazy loops and crushers... fuck up your car? Not to worry... hit one button and it is instantly repaired. If only real life worked that way, haha.

On side note Clay, Something I was going to throw out there is that I am used to building decent gaming systems off a budget. If you ever want me to build you a system I have done work for Kevan and Trina on both their rigs. You can build a decent gaming system for cheeper than you think. Feel free to PM me if you ever want a system built or want to know more information. I am more then happy to help :)

I could not agree with this more. The game is extremely fun to mess around in. They have a level you can load that is a sort of "torture chamber" for cars with crazy loops and crushers... fuck up your car? Not to worry... hit one button and it is instantly repaired. If only real life worked that way, haha.

On side note Clay, Something I was going to throw out there is that I am used to building decent gaming systems off a budget. If you ever want me to build you a system I have done work for Kevan and Trina on both their rigs. You can build a decent gaming system for cheeper than you think. Feel free to PM me if you ever want a system built or want to know more information. I am more then happy to help :)

Thanks, Mike!

Personally, I would've loved to learn about systems and try to build something myself but these days, there's just too much to know and even more knowledge to do it well and on-the-cheap. I don't have much interest in a gaming rig...however I will let you know if I ever need to build one!

Thanks, Mike!

Personally, I would've loved to learn about systems and try to build something myself but these days, there's just too much to know and even more knowledge to do it well and on-the-cheap. I don't have much interest in a gaming rig...however I will let you know if I ever need to build one!

I actually just specced out a gaming rig for under $600 for a friend

Used a HP Z420 as the base. Not exact one off ebay (we got one with more RAM) and will probably upgrade it to e5-1620v2 (slightly faster than a i5-7500k)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Z420-Workstation-Xeon-E5-1603-2-8GHz-4GB-250GB-Win-7-Pro-1-Yr-Wty-/401073478453?hash=item5d61d79b35:g:4rsAAOSwtnpXkoli

Add a video card

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487263&cm_re=gtx1060-_-14-487-263-_-Product

and a 480gb SSD for good measure

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F9G46Q8/ref=twister_B01FVDTA0G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If anyone needed a workstation for photoshop/video editing work, I'd highly recommend one of those or a z620 on ebay. Get one with cheapest CPU you can find, and upgrade to e5-2670 (or a pair of them in the z620) and you can have $700 16 core monster.