Chip touch up and paint correction

Flybye

I know there are several CR detailers now. So rather than messaging everyone, I'd like some input on my options. I just recently purchased a car that is extremely clean but the front is a little peppered from 10 years on the road. I am tossing the idea around of respraying the front and a good detail on the rest. Or find someone competent on chip touch up and correction. Many chips down to the primer.

Regardless I will probably be upgrading my rear bumper and doing a front lip. So paint work is in my future. But if I can save from painting the whole front end that would be great.

With that said...who is up for the task?

Said car...

8c35b4c342fa39a12991a1b3edb86402.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Flybye

I can tell you I have never seen a car that has had chips filled and touched up look right, trying to blend all the different levels of paint to be even and also match color is nearly impossible and you will end up spending more money in the long run trying to get it to look right. I would just get it all painted correctly the first time and save the headaches

A chip here and there corrected maybe but not a road rashed front bumper

I can tell you I have never seen a car that has had chips filled and touched up look right, trying to blend all the different levels of paint to be even and also match color is nearly impossible and you will end up spending more money in the long run trying to get it to look right. I would just get it all painted correctly the first time and save the headaches

A chip here and there corrected maybe but not a road rashed front bumper

I haven't seen many done right either. But I figured most of mine can be wetsanded out. And what is to the primer can be touched up as best as possible. I probably just need to meet with people for quotes and options.

Respray is highest on my list though. Also, because I'd like to have the plate holes filled too.

Dr. Color Chip makes a road-rash kit with a small squeegee included. Works pretty well. You may still need to sand it lightly in some areas but it works. Key factor that makes most cars with rash look like crap is they are polished out and the polish fills in and dries white thus amplifiying the issue. Best thing to do is remove the polish afterwards completely with a specialized product/solvent then to apply a coating as they are clear.

Honestly though with the cost of the products, labor and time, I'd have the front bumper sprayed. Unless the hood is horrible I'd likely fix it and move on vs a full re-spray unless the shop does a great job. I've seen shitty jobs done.

I'm free Sunday if you want to stop by and we can take a look at it. Just text/PM Me. You might be able to just lightly sand then polish it out and do as noted, remove the residue and coat. Won't remove chips 100% but it will help level and blend them. You'd be surprised at what can be hidden.

Dr. Color Chip makes a road-rash kit with a small squeegee included. Works pretty well. You may still need to sand it lightly in some areas but it works. Key factor that makes most cars with rash look like crap is they are polished out and the polish fills in and dries white thus amplifiying the issue. Best thing to do is remove the polish afterwards completely with a specialized product/solvent then to apply a coating as they are clear.

Honestly though with the cost of the products, labor and time, I'd have the front bumper sprayed. Unless the hood is horrible I'd likely fix it and move on vs a full re-spray unless the shop does a great job. I've seen shitty jobs done.

I'm free Sunday if you want to stop by and we can take a look at it. Just text/PM Me. You might be able to just lightly sand then polish it out and do as noted, remove the residue and coat. Won't remove chips 100% but it will help level and blend them. You'd be surprised at what can be hidden.

Thank you very much for all of the information. I would definitely be interested in meeting with you to look over the car. Message sent!

Body kit and plasti-dip? ;)

I'm actually debating this exact same thing on my Pontiac, a couple decent sized chips down to primer that I would love to get taken care of but am terrified of ruining something. Add in the fact I have a tiny amount of the paint color left and.. yea it's scary. And repainting a whole car definitely ain't cheap if done right!

Body kit and plasti-dip? ;)

I'm actually debating this exact same thing on my Pontiac, a couple decent sized chips down to primer that I would love to get taken care of but am terrified of ruining something. Add in the fact I have a tiny amount of the paint color left and.. yea it's scary. And repainting a whole car definitely ain't cheap if done right!

Nice thing about Dr. Color Chip is you really can't ruin anything. Their paint won't cure permanently right away thus their included solvent or others will remove it easily. The great thing is their product is super thin and easy to layer and the 4-5 uses / colors I've done matched perfectly. Bumper covers are tricky as they often don't match the body color perfectly though even with factory paint. Anyone with a Subaru knows that as they seem to be bad.

Save

Save

Talk to Ralph at the body shop, or have Denny do it. They should be able to hook you up.

That was who I planned to call first. I've seen some of the work they are putting out and was impressed.

Kevin resprayed our Dark Grey Metallic Rav4 front bumper/fender last fall. Thing was perfect...couldn't believe how well it was done considering the color. Highly recommended

All good news. I've heard nothing but great things over the years.

Great meeting up today! Damn great looking car and possibly one of the best deals had on CR this year. Super clean and again, if you told me it was a 2013 I'd have believed it. No way does it look 10yrs old. Even with a few chips here and there. Again, outside the front bumper what you have on the car is easy to fix up and really very very minor in terms of wear/tear for a car with 100k miles on it. WOW! it really is nice.

Looking forward to doing this to the rest of it in a couple weeks. Here's that hood shot after some light polishing.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah133/PDQS4/Misc%20Fun/20170305_1648411_zpsc9gtzohm.jpg

You're the man Tim. You make me a feel a lot more comfortable about bringing it back to life and accepting its little flaws. I'm looking forward as well!

Oh and Dr Colorchip kit is ordered.