Scooter laws

Lauren

My in laws brought back from a China a Chinese electric scooter that's basically a replica Vespa but electric. Top spped around 35-40 mph. What's the law here in Ohio. To I vuously doesn't have a title or bill of sale or any paperwork. Is this going to be a novelty in my garage or can I ride it around?

You can smack a motorcycle plate on it and take your chances, but if it doesn't have papers the BMV can use to issue you registration, your SOL.

I've got a Dirt Bug/Doodle Bug I've ridden around UA in but I wouldn't go on a main road like traffic has to treat me like one of their own.

How did they import it?

You need paper work that says the vehicle meets federal vehicle safety standards. This is either an MCO or MSO (manufacturer certificate/statement of origin), an FMVSS import sticker, or a letter from the manufacturer.

at 30-40 mph you have to register it as a motorcycle (20 mph is the limit for mopeds and other non-registerable vehicles) and that means you need a motorcycle license to ride it.

What kind of neighborhood do you live in? Not telling you what you should or shouldn't do, but in my neighborhood, which is unincorporated, you would really have no issue riding it around the neighborhood. Outside the neighborhood though, that would be a different story.