Truck Owners: Come On In

wagner

So I'm kicking around getting a truck for hauling items at times and possibly towing in the future. I would really prefer to keep it GM, I don't need to have 4 wheel drive, $24,000 or less, under 75,000 miles and not a shit pile.

Here's where I'm hung up: 1500 or 2500?

I've seen some trucks that fall into what I need for both, but the 2500 would be better for towing duty.

Those who have owned a 1500 what are your thoughts on it for towing?

It seems the 2500 in WT trim would be in my price range and miles needs if I get one of those.

Well, I have a rather unconventional scenario when it comes to pickup trucks, so I wouldn't do what you have proposed.

As far as towing, it depends on the weight. I have towed my 3000-3500lb cars with a 2000-lb car trailer with half-tons and they did just fine. My GMT800 had a towing capacity of around 8000 lbs and my K2s around 9400-9600 lbs.

Id get a ram like mine.

Hell mine was a touch above that and has 16,000 miles, 4wd and good options WITH CPO coverage until 2021.

Can tow 10,000lbs, rides awesome, super comfy and the 8 speed is rumored to be almost indestructable

Bad news on WT trims is most were run hard and put away wet. I'd steer clear of anything older than 3 years and 45k miles im the 2500 range

Id get a ram like mine.

Hell mine was a touch above that and has 16,000 miles, 4wd and good options WITH CPO coverage until 2021.

Can tow 10,000lbs, rides awesome, super comfy and the 8 speed is rumored to be almost indestructable

Bad news on WT trims is most were run hard and put away wet. I'd steer clear of anything older than 3 years and 45k miles im the 2500 range

+1

Could probably get a brand new 1500 2wd for not much more than your budget.

8-10k someday maybe. I would like to get something that could haul an enclosed trailer if needed.

A half-ton can handle that without too much of an issue. Just make sure that whatever truck you get, you leave yourself some room so you don't max it out.

8-10k someday maybe. I would like to get something that could haul an enclosed trailer if needed.

I'd personally want a 2500 for that kind of weight, personally. You'd be pushing a 1500 to its limits, and likely need load levelers to account for the tongue weight. 2500 wont really even be fazed.

Exception being a 1500hd, which is basically a 2500 non-HD but with a semi floating rear end.

1500hd.

Those are pretty rare and kinda hard to get parts for.

I would get a 2500HD with a Duramax, the 6.0L drinks gas. A 2500 is better equipt for towing, heavier rear end and heavier brakes.

Don't take this the wrong way my man, but that's a highly underwhelming truck for 25k. I've been looking at F-150's that have similar mileage and they're on the lower end of 20k and AND have all leather, tech package, etc.

The LTZ and or GMC SLT package trucks are the ones to get in my opinion if it's somewhere you're spending alot of time. They have the nicer / better dash and 90% of the options of a Denali without all of the premium. My SLT is a pretty nice place to spend hours and hours while towing. I wish I had the 6 speed from the newer trucks, as Casey suggested it's worth it in my opinion.

That said, if you're really going to be towing in that upper end of the towing range I'd not only consider the 2500, I'd also consider diesel which then puts you in a whole other price bracket.

I was towing 5k lbs last night driving into that nasty wind and my truck struggled to keep the 80-83mph pace i was trying to tow at. I can't imagine if I was towing a big enclosed with 2x the weight back there in those conditions.

I'd want a 2500 for that sort of weight personally. Having ridden in a 1500 2WD laden to almost 8,000# it was a little white knuckle at some points. That was with a super experienced driver.......

Also, let's face it. It's silly to expect to tow that sort of weight at 80mph anyway. It's worth slowing down just for the fuel savings lol. Applies more so for enclosed parachute trailer towing.

I ended up with a Tundra, but it won't ever pull more than 4,000#

I will be another proponent of the 2500 crowd, diesel or not. 8-10kish is within the rating of some 1500s, but realistically starts to get into the duty cycle in my opinion. I've seen my dad tear up tahoes and suburbans towing his 9k travel trailer, mainly with rear end and cam/lifters. The 5.3 really needs to be revved to the moon constantly to move that kind of weight whereas as the 6.0 or diesel has more torque and a more favorable torque curve. If you can sacrifice 4x4 especially, diesel cost premium is significantly reduced, and comes with improved mileage as a side effect.

2500s not only come with more motor, but more brakes (gotta stop all that weight, occasionally in a hurry) and a bigger rear end that won't break as a result of weight behind you. Egregious wheel hop and truly excessive heat can hurt them, but it takes A LOT to chew up the AAM axles in the 2500 / 3500 trucks. The weight and rigidity of the 2500 frame and spring packs also make towing noticeably more confident and comfortable. Having the weight advantage over your trailer, or at least a favorable position is an often overlooked factor in heavy duty towing. Being nearly as heavy as what's behind you is meaningful.

My truck (a 2wd Cummins) has required less maintenance and gets way better mileage than the gas trucks I've had before. It also does everything I've asked of it, and never seems to care.

Ask you this. Would you rather have it and not need it, or need it and not have it? Why be about at the max limit of a 1500 every time you tow? What happens if you wNted to go to a bigger trailer, or carry a golf cart too? You couldnt.

If this is a truck to get mulch at home depot on the weekends get a 1500, if your going to tow 10k pounds more then a 100 miles more then once a year then go 2500. Id you want a tow the state of nevada then buy a 350/3500 dually diesel.

Do it right the first time.

7-8k and 5.3L GM engines will top out in the 1/2 ton chassis.

Get closer to 10K and you will be screwed on hills at Jellico, TN. I did this with an enclosed hauling my supra with an avalanche.

Go diesel and don't look back..

Hmmm, starting to lean towards the 2500 just because I would rather have to much truck than not enough in the future.

I won't be going diesel because that will take it just a bit to far for what I need.