"WINTER TIRES ONLY" cast into BMW rep wheel?

zeitgeist57

Yesterday, I met a guy while looking for replacement wheels for my BMW. He had a set of "M Contour" replica wheels that would've been a good fit. However, despite "Made in Italy", they also have "WINTER TIRES ONLY" cast on the backs of them. I worried that this wouldn't be a good all-around street wheel, and passed on the deal.

They are feeling very lightweight, cast aluminum no doubt. But, is this cast on them so people don't track them? Is it recommended that the tires be 45- or 50-series sidewalls so they don't crack?

This would be for a mainly-highway driving car. Should I be worried running these wheels with an all-season (as opposed to HOOOOOOSIERS BRO) tire?

Out of all the things I've heard about wheels, this is a new one.

Casting/Gravity Flow Forming wheels is nothing new and is really prevalent as manufacturer equipped alloy. The verbage of "Winter Tires Only" really befuddles me as there's really no reason I would see why that might be. If anything, I would imagine it would be the other way around as the cold conditions are more detrimental to a wheel on impact than warm conditions.

That being said, I did a quick investigation to find that these replicas are made my AT Italia from TireRack and they're narrower than the Genuine BMW contours, which would be ideal for winter. Otherwise, I don't see any cause for concern for street use, nor do I see any BMW enthusiasts warning to take heed. In my opinion, I would take the "Winter Tires Only" as a suggestion rather than a limitation. DOT certainly wouldn't approve them for road use if they were unsafe.

I'm not sure why BMW does that. Our BMW cataloging for any wheel that was used for part of a winter wheel and tire package always says for winter tires only. Typically they are just narrower or sometimes black,grey in color. I'm not aware that they are made any differently than a similar "summer" wheel. I wouldn't hesitate to run a set year round.

If they are thinner, then they will fit your non-m 3 series. The M3 rear wheel is too wide to fit your unaltered E36 rear wheel well.

Not all aftermarket or replica wheels are DOT approved. Also there is no real DOT approval, just voluntary guidelines that the wheel meet the specific size and load rating requirements for the tire that will be mounted to it. There aren't even standard DOT markings that must be applied (most follow the Tire and Rim Association voluntary Standards). DOT and NHTSA don't certify wheels, it is up to the MFG to self certify to the guidelines, and mark it how ever they see fit.

Personally, agree with the others, they are probably fine for what you need them for, but to be on the safe side you may want to run a tire with as tall a sidewall as you can get away with.

There is a chance they are marked "for winter use only" because some summer tire load ratings might exceed the wheel's own load rating. A thinner wheel can have a lower load rating than it's wider same design counterpart, but as long as it is still within the load rating for the vehicle and tire it's perfectly safe.

These are ET38 offsets, so they should fit with a 205/55-16 tire (that's what I'm using on the borrowed set on the car right now).

I've got a couple guys looking into the Drag DR-34's in 5x120 bolt pattern (thanks, guys)...

This whole process really pissed me off in the worst way...cracking a wheel and then having such a tough time finding a replacement...

These are ET38 offsets, so they should fit with a 205/55-16 tire (that's what I'm using on the borrowed set on the car right now).

I've got a couple guys looking into the Drag DR-34's in 5x120 bolt pattern (thanks, guys)...

This whole process really pissed me off in the worst way...cracking a wheel and then having such a tough time finding a replacement...

I assume the wheel cannot be fixed?

DOT certainly wouldn't approve them for road use if they were unsafe.

You've obviously never driven on a Drag Radial in the rain. DOT approval is not the end all be all of safety.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mdKH8soCPEG7-H_cDUrfD1g.jpg

That being said- to the OP quit being a pazi, low ball this guy and buy the wheels!

GOOD NEWS!

I was chatting with someone at Discount Tire - the Drag DR-37 is the same casting as the DR-34, just modified to accomodate the OEM center cap and it's single-drilled bolt pattern instead of dual-drilled. They gave me a $15 discount so I just bought another rim. This way I don't have to buy a whole new set of wheels.

Thanks for the input, fellas! Now I'm off to Amazon to buy some CBR tires, mount them on the BMW, and complain to Derek that I'm stupid for cheaping out on tires again. :lol::lol:

you know I was just looking at the Dr-37s and wondering if they were the same.

What is the offset size on your rims clay?

+42. The Discount Tire guy said that they will still have the same casting of "DR34" in the inside of one of the spokes, but if it's for BMW then it's the same.

17x7.5, 5x120, flat black.

You've obviously never driven on a Drag Radial in the rain. DOT approval is not the end all be all of safety.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mdKH8soCPEG7-H_cDUrfD1g.jpg

That being said- to the OP quit being a pazi, low ball this guy and buy the wheels!

DOT approves it for R O A D U S E, not rainy conditions. Hard to comprehend, right?

DOT approves it for R O A D U S E, not rainy conditions. Hard to comprehend, right?

DOT tire approval for R O A D U S E includes a minimum safety standard for hydroplane resistance so yeah it includes rainy conditions. Apparently it is hard to comprehend.

DOT isn't about safety, it's about certifying the part meets the laws and regulations that govern those types of parts, and in many cases the mfg self certifies (meaning if the mfg lies about it they may forfeit any defense to a lawsuit regarding the certification). The laws themselves are supposed to address safety but laws are outdated and hard to change. One need only to look at how the US approached headlight size and shape to see how this works in practice.

The Pictured tire is not DOT approved, I think that is part of his point.

Many people drive on them and when the get home they're all like "BUT DID YOU DIE?!?"

DOT approval is just as cool as guys who vape. People care about DOT ratings just as much as they do about those vaping douche canoes.