RIP Nicky Hayden

Putty

No doubt. I moved to Ohio in 2002. Went to watch my first motorcycle race at Mid Ohio. He was the man. So fun to watch. And then 4 years later he took the MotoGP title...amazing. Always so nice and friendly at the GPs in Indy that I went too. Sad how things work out. I have read so many amazing stories about what a nice guy he was. SAD

Of all the things, a freak bicycle accident...unbelievable.

Really sad...

Tom

I would not call it a freak bicycle accident. I would call it a driver not paying attention and hitting a bicyclist killing them, and it happens all too often.

The irony however is most people likely thought there would be and engine on the two wheel'd "death machine"

I would not call it a freak bicycle accident. I would call it a driver not paying attention and hitting a bicyclist killing them, and it happens all too often.

The irony however is most people likely thought there would be and engine on the two wheel'd "death machine"

Read this and thought "whoa...that's odd to read on CR"...then looked and realized it came from one of the handful of cyclists on this forum. :lol:

Pretty sure that they are saying that security footage shows Hayden looking down at his iPod and blew through the intersection

yup:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-23/former-world-champion-nicky-hayden-dies/8549242

They said the images suggested Hayden had failed to stop at an intersection and was hit full on by the passing car.

Although I generally agree that drivers these days aren't attentive enough to avoid other cars, let alone bicyclists and motorcyclists - let's not turn this into a bicycle PSA, it's bad enough the world was just deprived of the talent of one of America's greatest motorcycle riders.

Read this and thought "whoa...that's odd to read on CR"...then looked and realized it came from one of the handful of cyclists on this forum. :lol:

Nothing personal....but ride on the sidewalk.....Ive never understood the mentality of a bicyclist who thinks the road, although "LEGAL", is the safest place to ride a small, hard to see and slow moving vehicle in traffic where the majority of drivers are distracted in one way or another....Most of us are guilty. I know whn I ride a bicycle (rare for my fat ass).....I will ride off the road as much as possible or I will ride against traffic on the edge so I can see wtf is going on...Not clipping my ass...no way.