How to put a Single Sided Swingarm onto a conventional rear end

magifesq

First - do your homework - take measurements and do the basics to check out whether the Single-sided SwingArm (SSA) will work on your bike. If the swingarm pivot area (the area where it would fit into the frame) is the same size or smaller than that length then you are in the easy way. If it is lager by that area by 1/4" or less then you'll probably want to grind an equal amount of metal from both ends to keep it balanced.

Provided it measures close enough to trim or shim, consider the gearing - if the SSA has a different gear in the rear you may want to consider keeping the same ratio (simple math if the bike had a 14 tooth front - 28 tooth rear and the SSA comes with a 30 T rear then you'll need a 15 T front to keep the 1-2 ratio) if you don't want to worry how far your speedometer might be off. Speaking of sprockets, make sure they are using the same chain size on the sprockets to avoid breakage or excessive wearing.

Bearings - 99.9% of the time you will need different bearings for the swingarm conversion - best thing to do is take the swingarm and pivot bolt to a bearing distributor like Motion Industries for example in Marysville. A knowledgeable bearing rep will take the measurements and many times ship the bearings to your house. If they can't order ones to fit, you may have to make your own bearings - on some bikes the oem just use a bushing covered in grease, others use a timken, sealed or needle bearings, be creative, it just has to work, so keep that in mind.

Most conventional swingarms and SSAs use centered shocks, however the 'dogbones' or linkages may need lengthened or shortened to put the rear of the bike exactly as high as you want it. I haven't put an SSA on a TL1000R/S or EX650s so I'm not familiar with how to work around side shocks.

You can expect the SSA to be a little different length than the conventional s/a so the ideal time to convert would be when the chain/sprockets need changed anyway.

Now that you've measured, shaved, shimmed, adjusted the linkage, ordered the proper length chain, received the right bearings, next simply assemble and enjoy.

Have fun!

Good memory and observations guys - was vfr, then I bought the Triumph wheel, eccentric, spindle, etc. it was pretty easy once I got the parts, Bonus - the VFR sprocket and carrier were bolt-on easy.

• 5 months later...

I have the speed triple I am constantly getting asked where I got the SSA for it. And I still get looked at like I'm dumb when I tell them it came that way. Mostly because people don't realize Triumph is a proper make not a model line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...