Self directed IRA

Turbs3000

anyone have one? what custodians have you used/liked?

So I switched jobs 7 months ago and need to roll my 401k and ESOP distribution somewhere. It's about 10,000 so nothing crazy. I'd love to take this, what will probably be rare, opportunity and gain a but more control over how my retirement is invested. While still letting my other retirement account follow the normal channels. My thought process would be to have more control over the stock market investments in the short term and the option to use it for real estate in the long term.

I had Fidelity and it was a good trading program, but I realized over the last couple of years that I don't want to be picking stocks anymore.

Just switched to Merrill Edge. Guided Investment (robotrade, low fee) platform will hopefully do a better job in equity/ETF picks. Super easy to set up and fund via transfer.

I highly recommend moving it to Vanguard.

There are several LOW COST funds there that you can park it in - lifestyle funds (with a determined stock/bond allocation) or retirement funds (with a stock/bond allocation that changes with time).

For real estate, they have REITs.

Poke around on their calculators to see what is right for you: https://investor.vanguard.com/home/

Before you decide on anyone else, learn the expense ratios and load fees (%) of the funds you're considering and compare them to Vanguard.

If you want to trade individual stocks I'm not sure. Scottrade has been fine to me in the past but I think there are cheaper options around now.

*Also worth mentioning, this rollover to an IRA could limit your backdoor Roth options in the future, so you might want to roll it to your current employer if that's a concern.

Edited by Street Pilot

I highly recommend moving it to Vanguard.

There are several LOW COST funds there that you can park it in - lifestyle funds (with a determined stock/bond allocation) or retirement funds (with a stock/bond allocation that changes with time).

For real estate, they have REITs.

Poke around on their calculators to see what is right for you: https://investor.vanguard.com/home/

Before you decide on anyone else, learn the expense ratios and load fees (%) of the funds you're considering and compare them to Vanguard.

If you want to trade individual stocks I'm not sure. Scottrade has been fine to me in the past but I think there are cheaper options around now.

*Also worth mentioning, this rollover to an IRA could limit your backdoor Roth options in the future, so you might want to roll it to your current employer if that's a concern.

This.

I went through a job change in November and rolled my 401(k) which was about $11k into a Vanguard IRA.

American Funds is pretty good as well.

Set up a IRA with them and rolled my wife's 401k she had prior over into that and been averaging lil over 13% over past couple years and they have/had some pretty solid choices to pick from.

Just set up my kids ESA's via American Funds this year as well and was pretty easy process.

American Funds is pretty good as well.

Set up a IRA with them and rolled my wife's 401k she had prior over into that and been averaging lil over 13% over past couple years and they have/had some pretty solid choices to pick from.

Just set up my kids ESA's via American Funds this year as well and was pretty easy process.

Are you in class A funds? What are the loads and expense ratios? When I dealt with American Funds (through EdJones) they were class A funds with a 5% front-end load. :doh::doh::doh:

Vanguard funds have no load and tiny expense ratios (.12 average).

If you're happy that's all that matters, but you might be giving a lot of money away.

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/low-cost