Nerds running servers and data hoarders...

unfunnyryan

10GbE will probably be a necessity.

This isn't exactly easy to come by for most folks. Hell, Microsoft doesn't even allow LACP on consumer Windows to bond the two 1GbE ports most motherboards come with these days.

This isn't exactly easy to come by for most folks. Hell, Microsoft doesn't even allow LACP on consumer Windows to bond the two 1GbE ports most motherboards come with these days.

Pfft, who's trusting windows to their files anymore? ZFS err'day.

ebay has 10gbe cards for $20. My problem at the moment is freeing up a pcie slot but I think I can do that.

As for location, I've got no idea.

I have a bunch of server gear that I play with and have been keeping files since the `90's. Mostly I use it to keep up with technology, but I've been thinking of actually setting one up as a media server.

Currently I'm running a couple of old HP 24 core rack servers running Win 2012r2 datacenter for AD, DNS, DHCP, and running a bunch of instances virtually through Hyper-V and sometimes some VMware stuff. It all changes constantly as I mess around

in Nerd mode.