looking for someone who can do tile work in Pataskala

smokin5s

So long story short, my mother has a house less than a year old, basement flooded, builder is crooked, she paid someone else, they are no shows... my mom is an elderly lady and needs help. I'm looking for someone who is reasonably priced who can put down some tile for her in her basement. She's been screwed over many time recently and it needs to stop. This doesn't need to be someone who works for a company, they can be a weekend warrior looking to make some extra money as long as they know what they are doing. My poor mom needs a break and something to go right for her for a change.

I don't know the exact square footage off the top of my head, but I'd have to say if I was to guess... 4-500 sq feet would be a reasonable assumption.

If you want to charge more than retail stores for labor, don't waste my time.

What quotes are you getting from retail stores?

Expect to pay anywhere from $8-$12 per square foot, regardless of what they tell you. They will fuck you every which way until the average install price is somewhere in between those numbers, or maybe even more.

I pay my guy $5/sq ft and he's phenomenal. Unfortunately, he's doing a ton of work for me right now and wouldn't be available for weeks for your job.

What quotes are you getting from retail stores?

Expect to pay anywhere from $8-$12 per square foot, regardless of what they tell you. They will fuck you every which way until the average install price is somewhere in between those numbers, or maybe even more.

I pay my guy $5/sq ft and he's phenomenal. Unfortunately, he's doing a ton of work for me right now and wouldn't be available for weeks for your job.

Your a idiot Lowes charges $3 GTFO

Your a idiot Lowes charges $3 GTFO

Lol, I can only assume the OP is referencing you when he made his comment about retail.

OP- if you really think Lowe's (or anywhere) charges $3 for tile, you're batshit.

I just got a quote from another flooring guy because my GC is so busy (he ended up squeezing it in) and he said depending on the tile I picked, it would be $10-$18/sq ft. Tile is expensive man. If you can find someone for anything under $8/sq, jump on it.

Source: Rehabbed over 20 houses.

Does it need to be tile? If she wants to do laminate I'll come over and lay the laminate for her free of charge to help her out

Regardless if she is gonna go with tile / laminate, that's a stand up kind offer right there. Props to you Sir.

She could also go with luxury vynil plank or tile since its concrete subfloor. These are waterproof and very easy to install.

We have these in the bathroom. I was surprised how tough they are when I first went to cut one. I'd totally go that route again in a below grade area.

Lol, I can only assume the OP is referencing you when he made his comment about retail.

OP- if you really think Lowe's (or anywhere) charges $3 for tile, you're batshit.

I just got a quote from another flooring guy because my GC is so busy (he ended up squeezing it in) and he said depending on the tile I picked, it would be $10-$18/sq ft. Tile is expensive man. If you can find someone for anything under $8/sq, jump on it.

Source: Rehabbed over 20 houses.

walk into Lowes, it's posted all over the place where there tile section is saying 3 a sq foot for install.

BTW, I'm talking labor here, she is going to purchase the tile and material separate. If you think I'll allow her to pay $2,500 under the table for someone to install 500 sq feet of tile with no warranty or anything else, then I'd be more batshit than you think I am. For that price, I'll do it myself.

Does it need to be tile? If she wants to do laminate I'll come over and lay the laminate for her free of charge to help her out

That really is a standup offer man! props to you! She's not looking for something for free, just not looking to get screwed over like she has been.

I use luxury vinyl in all of my rentals. It's durable as hell.

Note, there are 2 levels of quality. The first level is water RESISTANT, the second is water PROOF. Most of the lower level runs around $1.99 a square foot. The next level is between $2.99-$3.49.

Also, again, if you think Lowe's really does tile for $3/sq ft, you're crazy man. I know what they say- I spend around $50k a year at Lowe's (actually I recently transitioned to Home Depot). That is just to get them in the door, and then it's all down hill from there. Seriously- have them come out and get a quote and post it. I'm not trying to be a dick, just saying that $3/sq ft. isn't what they actually charge.

I agree with the luxury vinyl.

Also, I thought the $3/ft price was for tile backsplash, not floor.

It changes depending on if it's Lowes vs hd etc.. like anything else it's as big as can be $3 install.... fine print will show you like brad said in a real quote it is not no $3sqft

nah, I'll just do it myself if that's what people want for the install. Or go with luxury vinyl if that is durable enough to be on a basement floor. My mom is on a very limited income (70 year old retired woman) and she can't afford to pay someone that kind of money under the table. Especially considering she's already paid for this job once.

question about the luxury vinyl, Does it look just like any other manufactured hardwood type of flooring? And is it the same click into place material?

The first level is stick together (if you get it on your leg hair, you're fucked) and the second level is not really click together, but it does lock in together.

As far as how it looks, I'd just google it. I had a floor done this past weekend that turned out awesome. It's perfect for a basement.

when I say click, I mean lock it together like the laminate flooring people put in their kitchens. Does it need the padding put under it like you do for a kitchen and if so, can you use the same stuff or is there a better vapor barrier type of material you use instead?

when I say click, I mean lock it together like the laminate flooring people put in their kitchens. Does it need the padding put under it like you do for a kitchen and if so, can you use the same stuff or is there a better vapor barrier type of material you use instead?

I know what you're referring to, but it's a bit different. It barely locks together (as opposed to traditional laminate where that shit like actually clicks in). I'd recommend you go to HD and check it out to see exactly what I mean. The level 1 can be cut with a razor, but the level 2 needs cut with a saw.

It needs a plastic sheet then straight down on concrete. Its clicks together like wood laminate floor but you need to roll the seams

Hmm- I usually don't put a barrier down with this stuff. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, but when I first started using it, HD explicitly told me it wasn't needed, going over any material. To be fair, I've only laid it over concrete twice, so majority is over wood/existing laminate.