WTB: Remington 870 or Mossberg 500

hpfiend

I've had both and have upgraded them both. It came down to personnel preference for me. I like the location of the safety on the 870 and not the one on the 500. The 500 seemed to rattle a lot, and that bugged me. They both functioned well, with no issues.

My favorite overlooked shotgun right now is the 887 Nitro Mag. Fiber optic sight and 2 3/4"-3 1/2" shells, makes this a fun gun in the $400 range.

http://www.deguns.net/product-p/5063.htm

KEY FEATURES:

Action design based on the venerable Model 870 - ultra-smooth and reliable

Rugged ArmorLokt™ coating totally prevents rust on all exterior surfaces

SuperCell recoil pad reduces the felt recoil up to 54%

Our softest-shooting pump gun ever

Awesome balance and natural pointing characteristics

Handles 12-gauge 2 3/4", 3", 3 1/2" loads interchangeably

2-shot magazine extension

Barrel clamp with integral Picatinny rails

Rugged synthetic stock and fore-end with specially contour grip panels

18 1/2" barrel with solid rib and HiViz® front sight

Sling swivel studs built-in

Includes ported, extended tactical Rem Choke

Edited by Mojoe

I've had both and have upgraded them both. It came down to personnel preference for me. I like the location of the safety on the 870 and not one the 500. The 500 seemed to rattle a lot, and that bugged me. They both functioned well, with no issues.

100% agree with everything said here. Find the best deal on either. Loved my Mossberg. It is what it is. My personal favorite is dad's old Winchester. It's from the 80's and still good as new performance wise. Found this one, but I personally haven't used that model.

The 870 and 500 are cheap, it is what it is. Just make sure he's using very low loads, don't want to hear about it going through a wall and hitting the neighbor....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3" mag slugs only. Go big or go home.

keep an eye out for vances ads, sometimes they have (or used to have) SUPER cheap OSHP or similar LE 870s for cheap, like $250ish

Gun Envy as well.

The older 870 magnum/wingmasters are incredibly well built pump shotguns. There is no question why OSHP picked them.