'97 4runner DD/budget truck build.

cstmg8

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that plastidip on the wheels? link to color??

I may powder a set of wheels but use this to see how it looks

It is. It's the copper metalizer, which is a top coat. Mine is over black, which gives more of a dark bronze color, I would probably do one more coat to lighten it up next time. A red base coat gives it a very copperish color.

Same here, I'm either going to eventually go with a bronze set, or have some powder coated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm putting a new HVAC system in mom's house, so I loaded the old girl down and headed to Athens. She ran like a top, I feel good every time I get one of these two hundred mile round trips on her, feel better about the engine repairs and the fact that it's still running good. I think I am going to go ahead and replace the lower ball joints, just because they have 212,000 miles on them, and I'm using the bigger tires next week.

Couldn't pass up the opportunity to drive up on the back of the farm though, so she got a little bit of offroad practice and the mandatory Flex Shot.

3f8a423cf791a10bcdd28ca56c9c379c.jpg241ef4d537336e14cd8844f3f2eee831.jpg642ef076717a255959fceaa8d62d0120.jpg

I think I am also going to go ahead and order the Firestone air bag kit for the rear, just to assist a little when I have a load. The toy Tech rear springs squat a little more than I would like if I have much weight back there as you can see from the shot up on the hill.

I'll ask on the 4runner forum, but does anyone have any other "must have" suggestions for the first off road trip?

Caveat: I'm no expert off roader.... but I'd start looking into some good recovery equipment. Bubba ropes, or something like them that have a high stretch rate, are f'n awesome. They work really well and are much safer/easier than a static or even low stretch rate rope. Possibly, if you do get a high stretch rate rope, you might also need some lower or static ropes for different situations. Nice air pump, other ropes, shackles (metal and/or rope/synthetic), tree savers, traction mats, shovel, hi lift jack, air bag jacks, basic medical kit, tire repair kit. I think that's generally what I've seen people at work take, put together. I'm sure there are list out there that put it together nicely; what you 'need' for what type of off-roading you are doing, hopefully some have some hierarchy of what to buy first so you're not spending a thousand bucks or more in one shoot on all of this.

Does your winch have a synthetic rope or metal? I've heard the synthetic ones are nice, but expensive.

Those 33s are really gonna stuff in there lol. Also ditch the boards. be better than having them damage your rockers.
Definitely, I haven't installed the 1" body lift yet. I was waiting to get sliders and take the boards off, but I'll probably have to just go ahead and take them off.

Nice. When you put in the body lift ratchet strap the rear axle to the crossmember so the suspension doesn’t have to droop all the way before you can jack the body up. Helps.
Great tip. I think I'm getting in on a group buy for this bumper, it seems to be the most reasonable price and has the best approach angle:f418166db8115f7291f95f68701f63d0.jpg

Winch should ship out today!

It is looking good sir! Loving the progress. As mentioned, recovery equipment is always good to have. Bubba ropes are awesome! Just make sure when you're going out that simple things you think you wouldn't need you should bring. I would invest in a small shovel too. I have a small 4 foot flat shovel with a farmer's handle end, that has come in handy more ways than one. Also make sure you use some sort of weight mat for the winch if you are using a steel cable (even an old rubber floor mat draped over will work). Lastly make sure you take a fire extinguisher and always have a buddy to go wheeling with.

A big thanks to Derek, for the research and helping me get this deal done. New tires are on, now the question is do you think I should put the one inch body lift on, or leave it as is. I am going to check all of my rubbing points, but I may put it on anyway just so the body is a little further away from any damage. c3db088458c355b35a0aa4bd197cf1b9.jpg

Is it bad that I'm secretly hoping this guy ignored us telling him to get recovery equipment, doesn't get a single thing, but keeps spending money on other upgrades, and gets epic levels of stuck on his first trip out?

Well Jesse only time will tell lol. But if he's smart, he wont go out without his buddy. Maybe he has all the recovery stuff.

Is it bad that I'm secretly hoping this guy ignored us telling him to get recovery equipment, doesn't get a single thing, but keeps spending money on other upgrades, and gets epic levels of stuck on his first trip out?
Well Jesse only time will tell lol. But if he's smart, he wont go out without his buddy. Maybe he has all the recovery stuff.
Hahahaha, yes that is bad!! But, CR. Sorry I hadn't responded to you! I fully plan to get the recovery equipment. I'm snagging some various decommissioned hoisting straps from work, for tree savers etc... I've been looking at roof rack mounts for shovels, and I really need to read up on things like traction mats, as I have no idea what would serve me best.

I'm ordering a good automotive fire extinguisher, and grabbing a few fittings to convert one of my 20lb CO2 bottles to a tire re-inflator.

Oh and this came today:

27bf557eb9b403c7ac7ca306799f890c.jpg

A big thanks to Derek, for the research and helping me get this deal done. New tires are on, now the question is do you think I should put the one inch body lift on, or leave it as is. I am going to check all of my rubbing points, but I may put it on anyway just so the body is a little further away from any damage. c3db088458c355b35a0aa4bd197cf1b9.jpg

Looks good. If you are ever standing around with a tape measure I'd love a real world dimension of the tire height mounted

Are the bumpers body-mounted? Can you successfully raise the body and the bumpers while moving the frame within? I know sometimes there is just some styrofoam you can remove or the like.

I have a little 1/2" BL which doesnt require longer bolts or anything, but I feel like that was all I could get with the bumpers attached.

Looks good. If you are ever standing around with a tape measure I'd love a real world dimension of the tire height mounted

Are the bumpers body-mounted? Can you successfully raise the body and the bumpers while moving the frame within? I know sometimes there is just some styrofoam you can remove or the like.

I have a little 1/2" BL which doesnt require longer bolts or anything, but I feel like that was all I could get with the bumpers attached.

At the current air pressure (not sure), they Are 32.5". A little smallish for a 255/85 I'd say.

That helps. My half-worn 295/75/16s are exactly 32" now. In your pics they look a little small but obviously are not.

Supposedly the Discoverer ST version is smaller....Ive seen them measure out less than 32. 7" rim probably helps

That helps. My half-worn 295/75/16s are exactly 32" now. In your pics they look a little small but obviously are not.

Supposedly the Discoverer ST version is smaller....Ive seen them measure out less than 32. 7" rim probably helps

I think in the pictures, the fact that the tread goes about halfway down the side wall, makes them look like they have a lot less sidewall. It is definitely deceiving.

I think in the pictures, the fact that the tread goes about halfway down the side wall, makes them look like they have a lot less sidewall. It is definitely deceiving.

thats air'd down mud traction bro.