Consequences of the EV-lution?

99StockGT

Lots of good comments and food for thought in this thread.

I'm now adapting to newer technologies in ways I wouldn't have considered just two or three years ago. I had long been an advocate of buying vs leasing and of acquiring used vs. new, and of the virtue of distinctive cars over cookie-cutter cars.

But this week the equation changed for me and I sold a couple cars and leased a new Honda Accord Hybrid base model. Not totally EV, I know, but getting an honest 52 mpg in the first 300 miles (higher than its EPA estimates) and enjoying gliding around town silently in full EV mode.

Things change.

That's one reason why I'm liking the Volt so much. EV mode around town is perfect. I think more people should try it.

But the Buy vs Lease thing is interesting when coupled with EV cars. Hyundai and another manufacturer I can't think of right now, are testing out a "Subscription" lease model for car ownership with their EV cars. Like a Lease you have a monthly payment, but the maintenance is completely covered, and every 2 or 3 years you give them your old car and they send you on your way with a new one. Hyundai's program (which is only in CA right now with their full EV Ioniq) also reimburses you for your electric charging. When you consider that brake and tires, the only wear items on an EV, will last 2-3 years with the average driver, the car will have ZERO additional cost above the monthly payment/insurance.

I think this is where car ownership is headed in the more urban areas. Especially if autonomous cars become generally available.

That's one reason why I'm liking the Volt so much. EV mode around town is perfect. I think more people should try it.

But the Buy vs Lease thing is interesting when coupled with EV cars. Hyundai and another manufacturer I can't think of right now, are testing out a "Subscription" lease model for car ownership with their EV cars. Like a Lease you have a monthly payment, but the maintenance is completely covered, and every 2 or 3 years you give them your old car and they send you on your way with a new one. Hyundai's program (which is only in CA right now with their full EV Ioniq) also reimburses you for your electric charging. When you consider that brake and tires, the only wear items on an EV, will last 2-3 years with the average driver, the car will have ZERO additional cost above the monthly payment/insurance.

I think this is where car ownership is headed in the more urban areas. Especially if autonomous cars become generally available.

This is exactly what companies, General Motors and the like, are talking about when they started calling themselves "Transportation Companies", no longer referring to the physical products thay make but the way they will offer it to you.

This is exactly what companies, General Motors and the like, are talking about when they started calling themselves "Transportation Companies", no longer referring to the physical products thay make but the way they will offer it to you.

I wouldn't be surprised. The Big 3 will likely try to become the automotive equivalent of an ISP. Hmm TSP.