Input sought on bathroom remodel

PRD2BDF

It would be a partial remodel of the shower/tub.

My 1920 house only has one bathroom and no provisions to add another on the single floor. The shower tub area is in serious need of replacement. The size is not a standard size so everything will have to be custom.

It's a seriously small bathroom so should I replace it with a new shower and tub combo or forego it and go full shower?

How often do you need an actual tub? IE do you or anybody in your house actually take baths and if not, then just get a full shower.

But bear in mind as well, if potentially looking at having kids or not ( no idea if you have any / planning on it in ) a tub is pretty much required for young ones.

What kind of budget are you talking about, and what level of finish?

Cheapest would be to frame in whatever is there to a normal/drop-in tub/shower combo. You could still tile the walls for a nicer look.

Give heritage marble a call. They are on shrock, and will come give you an estimate for a custom molded pan and wall panels. Virtually any finish you want and great prices. Much better than the bath fitters overpriced crap.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The tub is Handy to have, helpful for soaking sore backs and whatnot.

While I plan to reside here for the long term, I do want to make sure that when I sell the house, the bathroom doesn't ding me .

In terms of budget and finish, cheaper the better. My house is basically farmhouse style so it would be in that direction.

Pictures would help a bit, it depends on what kind of market your in/number of bedrooms but i'd encourage you to leave a tub in the house, esp since this is the only bathroom. It matters when you sell.

I'd have the tub refinished. With the back up option of tearing everything out and creating 1 amazing looking bathroom with a shower.

The value add is probably worth it to add a bathroom if possible, there's gotta be 15 sq ft somewhere...

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

If it has more than one bedroom, keep a tub. You will get dinged later for that one.

Even people with no kids, but with dogs need tubs.

If the plumbing is all old cast iron you need to think about redoing that too.

It is usually easier to just gut the room and put in standard fixtures vs. expensive retrofit. That or cover it up. Call Bath Fitter lol

Non standard tub size - consider a claw foot (freestanding) tub? They are available in "smaller" sizes and would be "period correct".You can equip them with a shower / curtain.

I always wanted the "custom" one I saw with chromed feet and a black lacquer exterior in my old house (1898 farm house) but moved on before I could go there!

Pics would help.

I am rehabbing a house now and one of the bathrooms is fucking tiny. We are doing a corner standing shower with full body shower head- however the master will have a tub, which doesn't sound like you have that option.

A standard tub surround is only 60"- you don't have any where to put that?

I'll have to get some pictures when I get home from work but I can tell you a standard tub surround will NOT fit. I'm only at 54'' full width and I believe 32" depth.

There is a small wall that houses the plumbing that pretty much cannot be moved.

I'll have to get some pictures when I get home from work but I can tell you a standard tub surround will NOT fit. I'm only at 54'' full width and I believe 32" depth.

There is a small wall that houses the plumbing that pretty much cannot be moved.

Anything can be moved, and typically for fairly cheap. It scares people because it involves drywall repair.

I'd say you can have that plumbing moved and drywall repaired for under $1k. If it'll help get you what you want, consider it!