Smooth bumpers for 70's cars?

zeitgeist57

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I've never seen this sort of worked-over nose/tail on a '70s American car, and I really do love it. The Federal 5MPH bumpers on many cars were absolute disasters, and the metal GM/Ford/Chrysler bumpers were atrocious. Whenever I see something like this, it makes me rethink that 70s/early 80s cars could be made to look really good, if we can solve for the bumpers!

Is there an aftermarket company that offers this kit, or as far as someone can see with the argent bumperettes that this is a totally custom job?

that 74 looks terrible. Bumper laws came into effect in 1974, for the 2nd gen f-bodies, they had the smooth bumpers in 78 and look much better that that. it's like a face with out a nose.

I dunno clay, that looks like photoshop.

assuming it is not however, the 1974 firebird had probably the least offensive 5mph bumpers and I don't remember them being chrome either.

The rear looks like a stock bumper where the black strip was painted silver and the whole unit integrated into the rear valance. here is a stock one for comparison:

http://www.american-muscle-cars.net/images/74Pontiac-FireirdFormula400-red-LR1.jpg

The front end would have to be a custom piece. Not hard to do if it was made in fiberglass. The Trans Am's that year had a plastic bumper cover instead of the black rubber strip but it wasn't that smooth. The lower valance looks like a stock esprit/formula one.

just for fun:

http://tran-zam.com/Spotters_Guide/74to76/SecondDesignDetail.jpg

My bad...I guess I didn't realize the '74 was considerably svelter than later cars.

You all know my comments around 70s/80s bumpers still stands though!

Kerry: the pics came off of an eBay listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Pontiac-Firebird-Formula-350/122909695457?hash=item1c9dfd1de1:g:hr8AAOSwt4xaV9EV&vxp=mtr

My bad...I guess I didn't realize the '74 was considerably svelter than later cars.

What’s really funny is that the same year camaro is probably the worst offender when it came to chrome 5mph bumpers. 74 and 75 camaros are despises for their bumpers. Just goes to show GM can get it both right and wrong on the same car.

That bumper has to be fiberglass. In one pic you can see the bottom held to the rad support with squeeze clips and it bows out over something hanging down. Also those flat plate bumper supports under the hood...yeesh.

What’s really funny is that the same year camaro is probably the worst offender when it came to chrome 5mph bumpers. 74 and 75 camaros are despises for their bumpers. Just goes to show GM can get it both right and wrong on the same car.

That bumper has to be fiberglass. In one pic you can see the bottom held to the rad support with squeeze clips and it bows out over something hanging down. Also those flat plate bumper supports under the hood...yeesh.

That's funny I love the big bumper Camaros, of course I love mustang II's also so I may be a little fucked up in the head. Lol