Home Built go-kart?

Geeto67

Anybody here ever build a home built go-kart for their kid?

My daughter is fast outgrowing her power wheels type ride on. At first I thought about modding it, but then looked into parts and cost and in the end you are still left with a crappy plastic tub unibody and a size constraint.

I thought about soapbox but she won't be eligible for another year, and honestly she just wants something to ride around our neighborhood, not something that is a competitive motorsport. Also my wallet looked at soapbox stuff and kinda said "nope".

So here I am trying to figure out whether I should look at a go-kart kit we can put together, or maybe try and do something weird like a go-kart replica T-bucket, or try something electric powered.

So what have others done?

I've got a racing go kart in the garage that needs a little work I'd sell reasonably cheap. Newer predator 6.5HP motor. Needs brake hoses, bumpers re-installed and cleaned up. Have a few sets of extra tires as well. Similar to this one: https://i.ushipcdn.com/resize.php?path=%2Fstatic%2F068c22d8-ab90-44e5-8.jpg&w=270&h=210

Anybody here ever build a home built go-kart for their kid?

My daughter is fast outgrowing her power wheels type ride on. At first I thought about modding it, but then looked into parts and cost and in the end you are still left with a crappy plastic tub unibody and a size constraint.

I thought about soapbox but she won't be eligible for another year, and honestly she just wants something to ride around our neighborhood, not something that is a competitive motorsport. Also my wallet looked at soapbox stuff and kinda said "nope".

So here I am trying to figure out whether I should look at a go-kart kit we can put together, or maybe try and do something weird like a go-kart replica T-bucket, or try something electric powered.

So what have others done?

Good luck, man. I've played with this idea numerous times but it's minimum $500 for something that they will get limited use out of. I was just talking about it to some friends this weekend at a daddy/daughter campout: Best advice I was given (that I hadn't thought of, and that doesn't require putting my kid in some sketchy Harbor Freight-welded chassis) was to go to an in-door go-kart place once she gets old enough to see if she really enjoys it before committing to an investment.

I'd rock a powerwheels, and add another 12v battery inline. the plastic frame will handle it just fine. I have a mini-pocket 4 wheeler for my kids, but you are going to spend $500+ on one of those, with gas/disc brakes/etc. razor makes tons of electric options. my kids have loved the krazy kart, made by razor. its a drift cart. super fun, and you can drift the hell out of it.

long story short, there are 1000's of options out there to get into a good electric/gas powered vehicle for kids 8-12 years old, for $250-700. there were NONE of these options when we were kids. you had to rig up a lawnmower engine onto a metal frame, find wheels to fit, and figure brakes out. by the time you do all that stuff, you're better off just spending $500 on a store bought one