USPSA

Hwilli1647545487

Anyone else into USPA, IDPA, or 3 Gun?

I shot a little IDPA a few years ago, but actually started "competing" in June of 16 in USPSA. Classified initially as a B class in Production. I originally only wanted to get a classification to beef up my teaching credentials but found out I really enjoyed it.

I took it a lot more serious in 2017, and finished the season off bumping to an A class production shooter. I am planning on taking 2018 to a "higher level of participation" as it's often refereed to. I've already picked up an ammo sponsor, and my goal is to make Master class by July with a stock gun (kind of an aggressive goal).

Here are some videos from last season before I ranked up. It's neat for me to note my skill progress upwards on the later videos.

Post up your experience...

I dabbled in it back around 2012. It got real expensive, real quick with the amount of practice ammo I was blowing through. And I was damn near common law married to my Dillon 650 from spending so much time with it.

I never ran a classifier. I also ran a G34 in Production. Still got all my gear. Someday I wouldn't mind getting back into it, however, I've got too many other hobbies right now that take up most of my time.

I found something that REALLY helped me with general gun handling was Steve Andersons Dry firing books. I'd sit down in my basement for hours with a par timer and some 1/4 size USPSA targets on the walls and run drill after drill. If you haven't looked into them, I'd highly recommend them. He works as a gun salesman at Vance's in Obetz now. Good guy to talk to. IIRC, he went from nothing, to Grand Master in like <2yr.

I dabbled in it back around 2012. It got real expensive, real quick with the amount of practice ammo I was blowing through. And I was damn near common law married to my Dillon 650 from spending so much time with it.

I never ran a classifier. I also ran a G34 in Production. Still got all my gear. Someday I wouldn't mind getting back into it, however, I've got too many other hobbies right now that take up most of my time.

I found something that REALLY helped me with general gun handling was Steve Andersons Dry firing books. I'd sit down in my basement for hours with a par timer and some 1/4 size USPSA targets on the walls and run drill after drill. If you haven't looked into them, I'd highly recommend them. He works as a gun salesman at Vance's in Obetz now. Good guy to talk to. IIRC, he went from nothing, to Grand Master in like <2yr.

Oddly enough he was in the same NRA Pistol Instructor class as me. I listen to his podcast occasionally and do quite a bit of dryfire.

I started out just using my Glock 19 carry gun and switched to a 17 because I wanted to try fiber optic sights.

I've shot both IDPA and USPSA and gravitated more towards IDPA. I started back about two years ago and shoot pretty regularly. I think IDPA would be the better choice given its focusing on good solid defensive habits and real world equipment. I'd always get pissed off when I'd show up at a shoot with my M&P9 + gear and there are 15 guys there with race gear and shooting powder puff loads.

With IDPA I started at the back of the pack of 20 shooter and have worked my way up the list(now sitting between 5-8 typically). One thing I did to practice was purchase an Airsoft version of my pistol that recoils and a bunch of IDPA targets. I set them up in the basement and will practice on occasion. It really helped with shooting on the move.

Oddly enough he was in the same NRA Pistol Instructor class as me. I listen to his podcast occasionally and do quite a bit of dryfire.

I started out just using my Glock 19 carry gun and switched to a 17 because I wanted to try fiber optic sights.

If only you had his books that I've been trying to give you FOREVER.

I've shot both IDPA and USPSA and gravitated more towards IDPA. I started back about two years ago and shoot pretty regularly. I think IDPA would be the better choice given its focusing on good solid defensive habits and real world equipment. I'd always get pissed off when I'd show up at a shoot with my M&P9 + gear and there are 15 guys there with race gear and shooting powder puff loads.

With IDPA I started at the back of the pack of 20 shooter and have worked my way up the list(now sitting between 5-8 typically). One thing I did to practice was purchase an Airsoft version of my pistol that recoils and a bunch of IDPA targets. I set them up in the basement and will practice on occasion. It really helped with shooting on the move.

I still shoot IDPA occasionally. I find USPSA to be more challenging and you get more/longer stages.. which for me makes the drive time worth it.

Shooting USPSA you probably shouldn't be trying to compare yourself to people shooting open class. I shoot production which is very similar to IDPA Stock service pistol. I only worry where I place vs those guys. Regardless as long as you are getting out there improving yourself that's what matters.

I have been keeping a journal of sorts about my journey on Facebook. Not sure if that interests anyone.

https://m.facebook.com/Howard-Williams-ShooterInstructor-1877599495820993/?ref=bookmarks

Clark, bring me those books and we can hang out in my basement and I'll feed you whiskey.

I've always wanted to try IDPA or USPSA if they offered some sort of novice or beginner level competition (aka just for fun). Years ago I looked into it but didn't really find much online surprisingly.

These days stuff gets so busy I don't think I could do it regularly but I'd like to give it a shot (pun intended) just once.

I've always wanted to try IDPA or USPSA if they offered some sort of novice or beginner level competition (aka just for fun). Years ago I looked into it but didn't really find much online surprisingly.

These days stuff gets so busy I don't think I could do it regularly but I'd like to give it a shot (pun intended) just once.

Your skill level does not matter. Everyone starts somewhere and all are welcome. Just be safe, and you'll have a blast.

Your skill level does not matter. Everyone starts somewhere and all are welcome. Just be safe, and you'll have a blast.

+1. Key words have fun and be safe.

Odds are if you show up and let people know you're new people will take you under their wing.

Exactly. If you're trying to find a match and register look at this website. https://practiscore.com . My groups runs all of thier matches and post their standings there. Hope that helps.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM640ELDPm3/?hl=en&taken-by=therobochan

Here is my first match, only filmed the last stage thinking it would be my best but it was the worst.

That looked like a fun course of fire. USPSA always gets precedence for me, but I am going to try and make a few IDPA courses this year.