Metal fabrication - custom motorcycle parts

El Karacho1647545492

After trying to sell/trade my BMW R1200C last year, after trying to turn it into more of a touring bike than a cruiser, and failing at both, I'm going to try to turn my bike into something it's not...again. This time I'm looking towards the bobber/cafe style look. It's a weird bike for any who don't know it, and it definitely doesn't fit the normal style of either.

The following links, along with various google searches for "Custom R1200C" have led me down a very strange path, but this bike was a gift from my uncle who recently died and I want this to be something done in his memory. He's the kinda weirdo who'd appreciate it.

https://www.roa-motorcycles.com/copia-de-bmw-r80-ing

https://www.roa-motorcycles.com/copia-de-bmw-r1200c-2

I'll first say that I'm not gonna disassemble my bike and color match everything, nor am I going to suede-wrap the trim pieces like those examples. I cite those because I really like the license plate arm design and want to incorporate taillights/indicators to that. Still, those little touches can be long term plans. At this time I want to get an idea of what it'll take to get the rear end looking like I want it.

Anyone recommend a good metal fabricator who can do something like that without costing an arm and a leg? I realize money buys quality.

BMW choppers have a long history in this country, and considering the R1200c is both the most american airhead bmw and also the most "crusier" bmw, a chopper/custom on is kind of a normal fit. It's better than you saying you want to make it a cafe racer or brat out of it (which is really just code for "I'm a hipster" anyway).

Let me make some suggestions: Rather than thing this needs a ton of welding and frame mods, let's see if there are some things you can do to play to the bike's strengths that are within your ability.

The nice thing about the R1200C is that it has a subframe that unbolts, so you can buy a second used one and cut that up for your solo seat and if you ever wanted to go back to stock you can just unbolt it and put the original on. IIRC the subframe does have the upper shock mount so you do have to be mindful of that. I don't know that you need a lot of welding to hit your goal.

Actually the more I think about it, you could just strip off all the stuff bolted to the subframe and just make a fiberglass seat pan that sits on top of it and hides it. Then have an upolstry shop shape the foam for that shape you want and cover it. Then you have a bolt on seat that uses the stock holes and required no metal fab.

As for the floating plate holder, there are companies that make a sidearm plate holder for other models that bolts to the final drive, so maybe you can do some research and see if any of those models share a final drive with your bike and see if a sidarm holder will fit. Rizoma makes probably the nicest one but it's all the most expensive, you can find them for cheaper.

After that, I think you are just looking for an upolstry person to redo the seat, a carbon front fender to match the rear, and a paint guy to do the bodywork.

BMW choppers have a long history in this country, and considering the R1200c is both the most american airhead bmw and also the most "crusier" bmw, a chopper/custom on is kind of a normal fit. It's better than you saying you want to make it a cafe racer or brat out of it (which is really just code for "I'm a hipster" anyway).

Let me make some suggestions: Rather than thing this needs a ton of welding and frame mods, let's see if there are some things you can do to play to the bike's strengths that are within your ability.

The nice thing about the R1200C is that it has a subframe that unbolts, so you can buy a second used one and cut that up for your solo seat and if you ever wanted to go back to stock you can just unbolt it and put the original on. IIRC the subframe does have the upper shock mount so you do have to be mindful of that. I don't know that you need a lot of welding to hit your goal.

Actually the more I think about it, you could just strip off all the stuff bolted to the subframe and just make a fiberglass seat pan that sits on top of it and hides it. Then have an upolstry shop shape the foam for that shape you want and cover it. Then you have a bolt on seat that uses the stock holes and required no metal fab.

As for the floating plate holder, there are companies that make a sidearm plate holder for other models that bolts to the final drive, so maybe you can do some research and see if any of those models share a final drive with your bike and see if a sidarm holder will fit. Rizoma makes probably the nicest one but it's all the most expensive, you can find them for cheaper.

After that, I think you are just looking for an upolstry person to redo the seat, a carbon front fender to match the rear, and a paint guy to do the bodywork.

You read my goals quite well. I'm not hung up on what category my bike falls into, I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks about my bike. I want it to be 3 things: fun to ride, comfortable to ride, and cool to look at. Right now it's barely comfortable to ride, not really fun (mine has the stock apes with oversized heated grips) and it's a bit typically teutonic to look at.

I hadn't thought about getting a second subframe to hack apart, that's not a bad idea but they only ever made 40k of these bikes so parts could be hard to come by. My first step is going to be removing the rear fender and actually seeing how much rear subframe it is and what can be unbolted vs chopped.

http://www.2wheelsmiklos.com/bmw-r1200c-custom

There's another example of one that interests me. I like that they retained the original gauge cluster and rear fender mount. It's not exactly what I'd do for the tail, but I like the execution and I would consider a version of that to be closer to my goals than the totally bobbed examples in my OP. The tail mount in this link is a chromed version of the stock one that I have on my bike. I like that they repurposed it to be a soft bag mount on one side, but to me it hangs out just a little too far.

Also I really don't like that exhaust.

there's a BMW motorcycle only shop/quasi junkyard nearby called Re-Psycle (it's in Lithopolis), I can almost guarantee you they have a sub-frame, but they are sometimes weird on parts prices. They are also a good place to sell your R1200C if you really just want out of it. Actually, they have a lot of weird stuff and old stock and probably would be the place I would go to have fab work done - just make sure you talk to the old timer that runs the shop. I've bought some things from him for my R80 so if you want someone to go with you I don't mind. I've gotten at least two tours of the place and I wanted to ask about buying an R69S plunger frame anyway.

I did a fast search on ebay and there are literally 8 subframes ranging from $70 to $400 so they aren't hard to find. Honestly, other than it being a forgotten BMW that nobody makes accessories for, finding any regular part for your bike is going to be no big deal. 40K production number is huge for a bike, my ducati is one of 300 in the us and my old Guzzi was one of 1500 and a one year only bike and I didn't have a hard time finding parts for either. 40K motorcycles made? yeah there are less GSXR1000s in the US than there are R1200Cs.

there's a BMW motorcycle only shop/quasi junkyard nearby called Re-Psycle (it's in Lithopolis), I can almost guarantee you they have a sub-frame, but they are sometimes weird on parts prices. They are also a good place to sell your R1200C if you really just want out of it. Actually, they have a lot of weird stuff and old stock and probably would be the place I would go to have fab work done - just make sure you talk to the old timer that runs the shop. I've bought some things from him for my R80 so if you want someone to go with you I don't mind. I've gotten at least two tours of the place and I wanted to ask about buying an R69S plunger frame anyway.

I did a fast search on ebay and there are literally 8 subframes ranging from $70 to $400 so they aren't hard to find. Honestly, other than it being a forgotten BMW that nobody makes accessories for, finding any regular part for your bike is going to be no big deal. 40K production number is huge for a bike, my ducati is one of 300 in the us and my old Guzzi was one of 1500 and a one year only bike and I didn't have a hard time finding parts for either. 40K motorcycles made? yeah there are less GSXR1000s in the US than there are R1200Cs.

I may take you up on that. PM me contact info.