Router advice

smokin5s

Ok, so I've had a really nice ASUS router for the past few years... it's always served me well but recently I'm having a hell of a time with my iOS devices to work well... by that I mean they connect and when they first connect it works fine, but a minute or so later everything just gets stupid slow with ONLY iOS devices...Everything else works fine.

So my question is, has anyone had this problem and know how to fix it? OR, anyone have a good router to recommend? It has to have removable antennas and be wall mountable.

If other devices aren't having any trouble its possible that the routers old enough that the apple devices have updated security protocols beyond what the router supports, etc and that is causing the problem. A new router could fix the issue.

A quick google search has found that your not the only one with the problem.

Here's the recent CR thread on routers http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128144

I've been liking TP-Link's network devices lately. I use their Archer C-50 router at home, but I don't tax its hardware much, its basically providing wireless access to my many devices. DHCP, DNS, and most of the wired switching is being performed by some old enterprise class servers and cisco equipment I picked up.

I have the AC66R, which I believe is the same as the AC66U, except that the R means it was sold through best buy. Perhaps try including that in the search to see if you get any answers. I can't tell you if I have the same issue since I don't have any ios devices.

I'm assuming you have the latest firmware since you're an admin :)

I have the AC66R, which I believe is the same as the AC66U, except that the R means it was sold through best buy. Perhaps try including that in the search to see if you get any answers. I can't tell you if I have the same issue since I don't have any ios devices.

I'm assuming you have the latest firmware since you're an admin :)

yes, new firmware... Do you have any issues with your iPhone? my wife and I both have an issue... my iPad which is the pro has issues, but her old iPad 2 has no issues.

It sounds like you need a new route. I bought this a few months ago and zero issues.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/484776/RT-AC1200G_AC1200_Dual-Band_Gigabit_Wireless_Router

All my devices including a few apple phones/ipads work fine. Great coverage inside my house and a little bit outside in my yard. Can stream pandora just fine while doing yard work with no signal drops.

that's surprising... I thought TP-Link was a cheap brand and would work about as well as Linksys type hardware...

They do have great prices and are getting a name for themselves. My last company was deploying them in commercial environments and they do sell some products that give a lot of configuration options. I know recently some of the brands have been making things much more automated which sucks when deploying in offices with many different configurations and needs.

It sounds like you need a new route. I bought this a few months ago and zero issues.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/484776/RT-AC1200G_AC1200_Dual-Band_Gigabit_Wireless_Router

All my devices including a few apple phones/ipads work fine. Great coverage inside my house and a little bit outside in my yard. Can stream pandora just fine while doing yard work with no signal drops.

I bought this tonight and set it as an access point that my phone connects to... so far so good... we'll see if it holds up or not.