Lube/Fluid Recommendations

zeitgeist57

Continuing a lunch discussion - I'm needing to swap out some automotive fluids from age or mileage, and aside from Wal*Mart for basics (oil, coolant, washer fluid) I'm interested to hear where guys get their heavier-use lubricants. Amazon, Jeg's, online auto supply retailer...

Transmission Fluid, Differential Fluid, Brake/Clutch Fluid.

Looking at the following vehicles, for what that's worth. Thanks!

1978 Lincoln Continental (400ci V8, C6, 9" Ford LSD)

1995 BMW 318i (4-cyl, 5 speed, 4.11 LSD)

2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 (V6, 4L60E, open diff)

2007 Caddy CTS-V (LS2 6.0L, 6-speed, LSD)

Amazon if it's planned, jegs if i need it now.

Jegs price matches pretty good

Auto parts stores have gotten better with brake fluid, I've seen some more "good" brand supplied at autozone, etc, or at least compared to how little they used to carry.

It's hard to beat Amazon. I have a big shipment of filters/fluids/additives coming this week for the diesel. Not all of them were the cheapest on Amazon, but after you factor in getting everything from one place to your doorstep instead of running all around town to various locations to procure everything...you at least break even if not make out on the deal.

I think Amsoil makes great fluids, and I even know a distributor...but I'm over the days of trying to text or call someone to have them get something they don't have to then have to arrange for some sort of meet and greet to get it that's generally not convenient.

I'll just get Motul or Endless or other high quality fluids that are arguably better than Amsoil, snag them online and have it delivered to my door for about the same money and much less hassle.

I think the market has moved on from the Amsoil model and I'm surprised they aren't struggling to survive at this point.

I use:

Motul oil (8100 in the street cars and 300v in the GT3) and get it from either FCP-Euro or Amazon

I use Endless brake fluid and get it form either Amazon or FRsport

I use Millers racing transmission and gear oils and get it from http://performanceracingoils.com/

Tom, thank you for the offer. I'm realizing that I need to figure out the stats for my cars. I may end up just posting it on here since CR is everywhere I go. :)

Andy - thank you for the suggestions as well! I was looking at Rotella T6 for my older vehicles but will research 8100. Despite my cheapness, I'm not upset to spend more on a good oil as I'm usually putting less than 5k miles on each of my cars per year.

If you’re gonna run Rotella just go to Meijer or WalMart to buy for $25/gallon. That’s what I do for oil in the FD. Wally World also has good deals on Mobil 1that I run in my dailies.

Amsoil for drivetrain fluids at this point for me with regular changes.