School me: 10/22

El Karacho1647545492

Just picked up a basic 10/22 from a friend for dirt cheap, it's got an optic rail on it and not much else.

I know these are ubiquitous and there's a billion parts for them, any "must fix" mods to start with? I had no purpose in mind when I bought this, more like "I've already got .22lr in the house and this price is stupid cheap, why not?" but I'm not planning to make this tacticool or anything. Just want cheap accurate reliable fun.

Nice scope as mentioned. I have a 3-9x and its perfect and there are a million options out there so it shouldn't be hard to find a good deal on a good one.

Hogue stock is a huge upgrade over the original stock for me and not overly expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hogue+10+22+overmolded+stock&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=190482822681&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15614933448438164896&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015297&hvtargid=kwd-307374770761&ref=pd_sl_3llt0yg9u4_e

Also get the RX-25 Magazines. Don't bother with any other 10/22 mags these are the best hands down.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1366238525/ruger-bx-series-magazine-ruger-10-22-american-rimfire-precision-rimfire-22-long-rifle-polymer

That's usually enough for most people. After that your basically building a competition rifle adding upgraded triggers, bull barrels, etc. Please note if you go this route to buy the right stock as the bull barrels are considerably larger than the stock barrel and requires a bigger opening in the stock.

They are fun little guns because you can build a pretty much fully custom and dead accurate tack driver for $400-$800 depending how crazy you go.

This is another stock option to consider. The reason I like it is because it can change with the rifle. There is an insert so you can use the factory or a bull barrel. The length of pull is adjustable as is the cheek height. https://www.magpul.com/products/hunter-x-22-stock-ruger-10-22

For the money the Ruger BX trigger is a good upgrade but for about the same you can get upgraded parts from Brownells.

If you’re going to shoot from a bench get some Ruger 15 round mags if you can find them. Sometimes the 25 rounders stick down too far. Either way stick with the Ruger mags.

For the scope 3x9 is great. For the money I put a Cabelas scope on mine. It was about the same price as Nikon, a little cheaper than Leupold and has done fine. Good Luck

This is another stock option to consider. The reason I like it is because it can change with the rifle. There is an insert so you can use the factory or a bull barrel. The length of pull is adjustable as is the cheek height. https://www.magpul.com/products/hunter-x-22-stock-ruger-10-22

For the money the Ruger BX trigger is a good upgrade but for about the same you can get upgraded parts from Brownells.

If you’re going to shoot from a bench get some Ruger 15 round mags if you can find them. Sometimes the 25 rounders stick down too far. Either way stick with the Ruger mags.

For the scope 3x9 is great. For the money I put a Cabelas scope on mine. It was about the same price as Nikon, a little cheaper than Leupold and has done fine. Good Luck

That magpul stock does look pretty nice. Unfortunately was not around when I built my 10/22. Maybe time for an upgrade? Haha

I keep talking myself out of getting one of these and making it into a neat little bullpup.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/8018322/columbus-ohio-rifles-for-sale--custom--ruger-10-22

Looks like the gun from Starship troopers.

I keep talking myself out of getting one of these and making it into a neat little bullpup.

The main downside to bullpup conversions is it moves the trigger forward so you have some sort of a bar and hook device going back to the original trigger. They look awesome but the downside is the triggers on the bullpup usually are not as crisp as traditional. But it does give you another reason to buy a 2nd, 3rd or 4th 10-22. With all the options it easy to have the same rifle in lots of different configurations.

Hit up www.rimfirecentral.com if you haven't already. If it can be done with a 10/22 somebody will have a write-up on it there.

Thanks!

I put about $100 in new parts on order, all should be delivered by this weekend; new firing pin and extractor, new mag release, new bolt release, and slightly longer charge handle. Nothing fancy or flashy, just stuff I read that makes it more reliable, less picky about ammo, and more convenient.

Although I like the expensive suggestions here. Maybe I'll give this one to the fiancee and build a ridiculous one for myself. I can see this becoming an expensive problem.

I have that Magpul stock, I just haven't put my bull barrel in it yet. Hoping to get to it this weekend or next. Everyone has pretty much hit the good stuff. I really like the 10/22, I guess that's how you end up with three of them. Anyone have one suppressed?

• 2 weeks later...
I have that Magpul stock, I just haven't put my bull barrel in it yet. Hoping to get to it this weekend or next. Everyone has pretty much hit the good stuff. I really like the 10/22, I guess that's how you end up with three of them. Anyone have one suppressed?

After having torn it down and put it back together with the new parts, I can see clearly that I will not stop at 1. Will be out testing this weekend.