Political Fart Noise Part II

zeitgeist57

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sort term yes, but for every peak there is a valley. I just hope that the GOP isn't keeping this gravy train rolling and not scaling back for short term gains and then we see a crash in the future. Normally, a fiscally cautious approach to this kind of prosperity requires some measure of reigning in so when the economy shifts again the free fall isn't tragic.

Tim, if George Soros agreed to take in every single one of these refugees and agree to pay any and all costs associated with their stay *for life* in exchange for the US granting immediate citizenship, would you be cool with that?

Nope. There's far more to it than the $$. Just ask anyone who works with someone not pulling their weight due to lack of skills or willingness to do so or many other related reasons.

Nope. There's far more to it than the $$. Just ask anyone who works with someone not pulling their weight due to lack of skills or willingness to do so or many other related reasons.

So they're lazy, unskilled, and unwilling to work? What are you basing this characterization on?

So they're lazy, unskilled, and unwilling to work? What are you basing this characterization on?

If you had a business, would you:

1) Hire the first 100 people that knocked on your door, hoping that some of them have skills, aren't creeps, etc.

2) Would you look at their applications, then interview and eventually hire the right candidate(s)?

I bet you'd go with option 2, because option 1 is a disaster and you're setting yourself up for failure.

If you had a business, would you:

1) Hire the first 100 people that knocked on your door, hoping that some of them have skills, aren't creeps, etc.

2) Would you look at their applications, then interview and eventually hire the right candidate(s)?

I bet you'd go with option 2, because option 1 is a disaster and you're setting yourself up for failure.

Pointless non sequitur. That's not the situation we're in, nor is it the hypothetical I proposed to Tim where he has to pay nothing out of pocket and still refuses to share "his" country with them for reasons that I'm sure totally aren't based on xenophobia.

Pointless non sequitur. That's not the situation we're in, nor is it the hypothetical I proposed to Tim where he has to pay nothing out of pocket and still refuses to share "his" country with them for reasons that I'm sure totally aren't based on xenophobia.

Is Soros going to have a limitless fund for the immigrants children and grandchildren and so on? Or is this just a one generation thing?

Is Soros going to have a limitless fund for the immigrants children and grandchildren and so on? Or is this just a one generation thing?

My grandparents were literally immigrants who came to this country with nothing... What reasons do you have for thinking that these folks are going to be a generational burden on society that totally aren't based on xenophobia?

You tell me, you put those words out there not me. I simply answered your question earlier. All of that would have to be evaluated but I think it's pretty safe to make some assumptions here. I wouldn't say lazy either. Will encompasses much more than just willingness to put in effort.

You tell me, you put those words out there not me. I simply answered your question earlier. All of that would have to be evaluated but I think it's pretty safe to make some assumptions here. I wouldn't say lazy either. Will encompasses much more than just willingness to put in effort.

Fine, I'll retract the words I injected into the discussion.

You characterize these immigrants as "not pulling their weight due to lack of skills or willingness to do so." What are you basing that on? What makes these [potential] immigrants different from all the other immigrants who came here with nothing and have gone on to make this country great?

and I made my point that there's more to this equation than money and I gave you a real-world example of it that you and I have likely faced at work.

The job analogy is pretty spot-on as we collectively as a country do need to do a far better job evaluating qualifications. We already know simply taking an asylum claim and letting them walk around our country is a bad and quite dumb thing to do.

Fine, I'll retract the words I injected into the discussion.

You characterize these immigrants as "not pulling their weight due to lack of skills or willingness to do so." What are you basing that on? What makes these [potential] immigrants different from all the other immigrants who came here with nothing and have gone on to make this country great?

I'm saying park their asses in a tent city and work through our existing processes in place. Either they qualify for asylum or they don't. Many don't / won't and will end up going back. Others who are applying legally for entry, I'm cool with. Let them wait it out as the process dictates. We need to limit the entries as there's a cost to doing so and we can't afford to be the crazy cat lady.

What makes them different is they are basically insisting that they come in and be turned loose without following our rules.

We already know simply taking an asylum claim and letting them walk around our country is a bad and quite dumb thing to do.

Lol OK. Nice tautological argument. "We can't take in asylum seekers because we already know it's bad to take in asylum seekers."

Can't argue with that stellar logic.

My grandparents were literally immigrants who came to this country with nothing... What reasons do you have for thinking that these folks are going to be a generational burden on society that totally aren't based on xenophobia?

it's their job to follow the process like my grand parents and I'm assuming yours too. Mine came through Ellis Island and followed the rules. They didn't simply walk in with demands or expectations of being allowed to roam free from day one.