CR Recomended Plumbers

wagner

Need a plumber to come out to Galloway Monday and see if they can fix our hot water heater. Pilot light wont stay lit even with a new thermocoupler.

Any recommend plumbers that service the west side that will actually show up?

I dont have any that would go that far, but went through similar on my moms, if it's over 8 years old honestly it isn't worth trying to save. Just my $.02

As someone with over 6 years of home/building maintenance/repair work and who diagnosed (and replaced) a HWT in the last month and dozens total, and who has also done work for Tilley and Bob, I concur.

HWT aren't all that expensive nor that hard to replace. With my uncle it took us not even half a day (if ya have the right tool/experience) and a few hundo.

Best of luck. They don't make 'em like they use to and what not.

EDIT: I do like puzzles though. Have you gotten down there and seen WHY it isn't lighting/staying lit?

Edited by Otis Nice

Well we are in contract to sell the house so I really don't want to spend the money to put a brand new hot water heater in if I don't have to.

I'm about to see if I can find one of these assemblies locally for it and replace it.

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/9006618005/0042/153.html

The pilot light won't stay lit and ignite the burner, as soon as I let go of the button for the pilot light to get it going it dies.

You can get that part at several places locally. Try Worly, for one.

Take steel wool or fine grit sand paper and clean the ignitor/flame sensor and see if that works. Be careful not to touch them with your hands if you can help it. Keep yo' nasty skin oils off of them and what not. I've done this method and seen them last for years and years.

FWIW you could pay $90 for that or a few hundo for a new tank and the new tank will increase your houses market value drastically.

You can get that part at several places locally. Try Worly, for one.

Take steel wool or fine grit sand paper and clean the ignitor/flame sensor and see if that works. Be careful not to touch them with your hands if you can help it. Keep yo' nasty skin oils off of them and what not. I've done this method and seen them last for years and years.

FWIW you could pay $90 for that or a few hundo for a new tank and the new tank will increase your houses market value drastically.

He is already in contract so market value to him is as useful as belly button lint.

Sometimes you have e to hold the gas valve on for quite some time to heat the thermocoupler up enough to generate a signal. I thought standing pilots went away in the 80s

Funny you mention this...

After doing a whole lot of research online I found similar information about someone that was having a similar issue with the same water heater. I tried their process and it seemed to work.

The big question is now will it stay lit, if not I'm going to replace the whole burner assembly to just carpet bomb the entire area and hopefully kill the problem.

Get the model number and head over to the appliance store on W Broad they will likely be able to help ya diag it and have the parts to fix it.

Love that place. 9 times out of 10 you can ask for something bizarre and they'll walk into the back room and be out 60 seconds later with exactly what you need. The other 1 time they will tell you that they'll have it tomorrow.