RockAuto charging taxes?

zeitgeist57

I've ordered a few times from RockAuto this month for various projects, and as I am cheap I like to see the total cost w/shipping as low as possible. The latest order was for 2 car projects; shops would've totaled over $1600 to do both jobs, but after cross-shopping different sites I was happy with the parts I selected for well under $400. Love RockAuto.

Once I went to Shipping options based on my zip code, I was surprised at how much the total cost jumped up. I noticed that sub-lines for taxes were listed under each of the 3 shipments. What changed?? Did NOT notice that before! There was a section where you could fill out to receive tax-exempt status if you were ordering for a non-profit organization, so at least that's good...again, never saw that before.

I know that Amazon now assesses an estimated tax (due to it operating in the State of Ohio for Ohio orders/shipments?) but I never noticed RA do the same with any shipment of parts. I keep my receipts for state tax purposes at the end of every year. Is this some change that's forcing online retailers to charge for estimated state sales taxes across the internet? Is it that RockAuto is being forced to step up as well?

Its a government thing. They were tired of not collecting taxes for online sales and are pushing for sites like Amazon to charge tax.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/393560-trump-praises-supreme-court-ruling-in-internet-sales-tax-case

Yuuup.

Everything is getting more expensive now :)

Noticed that as well but rock auto has operation out of Ohio so I just assumed it was similar to amazon now that items are sold in the state so state tax has to be charged... funny how shipping cost is not changing though

Noticed that as well but rock auto has operation out of Ohio so I just assumed it was similar to amazon now that items are sold in the state so state tax has to be charged... funny how shipping cost is not changing though

I read an article about how much this is going to hurt small business, and our pockets. Businesses like on 3 for example that move low volume high value products will be the greatest effected.

What makes it even more confusing is the states themselves will be setting the rules for how much product needs to go to a state for them to request and collect tax.

While, yes that sucks, I get it. With more and more being online sales it does seem fair.

This will be the least of our worries once the goverment-inflated bubble bursts and the dollar tanks.

According to Peter Schiff, it's a comin' and it's going to be a wild ride. I have to agree with a LOT of what I have heard Peter say.

I'm not sure if this will hurt anything. People are used to paying taxes, maybe not always online but that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Maybe it will get people to buy from in state companies now. For me, when I buy stuff from ECS (located in Ohio), it was 50/50, I had to pay tax but I get everything delivered the next day with the lowest tier shipping (free).

same. even if in part the guy is right. Scary shit

Honestly, I'd like to see his ideas implemented and see where it takes us. The Federal Government slash spending, eradicate a lot of it's agencies, like the Dpt of Education, abolish the minimum wage, let the the banks fail (obviously that would have had to have been in the past), etc. It's interesting how he outlines the incredible overreach the feds have with powers that were NOT granted in the constitution.

I'm sure he can't be right about everything, but I think he is fascinating to listen to. His Joe Rogan interview kept my attention...for 3hrs.

I'm not sure if this will hurt anything. People are used to paying taxes, maybe not always online but that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Maybe it will get people to buy from in state companies now. For me, when I buy stuff from ECS (located in Ohio), it was 50/50, I had to pay tax but I get everything delivered the next day with the lowest tier shipping (free).

Ordered. $7 deal from ecs got charged tax, $6 to ship it and it took 3 days

According to Peter Schiff, it's a comin' and it's going to be a wild ride. I have to agree with a LOT of what I have heard Peter say.

I dunno, I don't like Peter Schiff's adherence to the Austrian School of economics. Too gut/morality based and not enough scientific method and empirical evidence. He managed to get the financial crisis right, but missed his predictions on inflation since 2010. They don't call him Dr. Doom for nothing.

Anyway, paying sales tax online now is just closing the loophole that people have been warning about for a long time. It sucks but hey, maybe our roads will get better.

I thought it was a while ago that online orders from Ohio were taxed. RA and Amazon have both been adding taxes to my orders for quite a while now.

That was online orders where the seller and buyer were both in ohio. State law I think. Could be wrong though.