X10 Remote home system components? Need tech help

zeitgeist57

Through my techie father-in-law and a Buy-Sell-Trade pickup from a techie neighbor, I've picked up a bunch of X10 pieces - wall switches, lamp timers, and 2.4GHz remote cameras. The pieces are all older ('12-15 my guess) but nothing was ever used; in both situations, the guys sat on the equipment and then used other systems to wire their homes.

My wife wants to use Samsung’s “SmartThings” hub.

I'm just not in the mindset of setting up a home network especially for using the xx16A-C cameras. Any experience would be great. Thank you!

http://www.x10.com

Edited by zeitgeist57

OH MY LORD! X10 is still in business?!?

We had wall switches back in the 90's from them just like the ones in this video!

My first question would be to ask, What is the most important thing for you? Just lights? appliances?

I have a few TP-Link smart plugs controlled by my Kasa app and I really like it so far. They connect to my Amazon Echo network and I can turn things on and off from my Echos or Phone.

What exactly do you want to connect to your future "Smart Home"?

While a targeted attack may not be likely, it's enough of a reason for me to never use a system like that in my home:

https://www.cepro.com/article/home_automation_systems_easily_hacked_via_power_lines/

For light timers/automation I would probably not worry too much, but I wouldn't hook up anything related to access control (garage doors) or video/audio recording.

Sorry for the lack of response...

We want to use Samsung SmartThings to control various functions around the house: alarm system, WiFi-enabled thermostat and garage door opener.

If we can wire up the X10 units for cameras and plugs, that would be ideal.