WTB: Ruger GP100 / SP101 .357 Mag

Disclaimer

I'm looking at .357 mags for a nice home handgun... S&W's are too expensive, Taurus's are ok, but I don't like the grip or sighting on those, so I've kind of narrowed my search down to a GP100 w/ a 3" barrel or lil' brother SP101 w/ a 3 1/16" barrel - both stainless.

I'll admit, I've never shot a revolver, and the last time I shot a pistol it was my neighbors 9mm when I was in 7th grade. So I'm kind of hoping some folks on here have any personal experience with the GP/SP lines and what to expect from them??

Gander Mountain was out of stock on both of these - though they did let me feel up a blued GP100 with a 6" barrel. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never got one of those. When all the police departments traded in for semi-autos, there were a lot of those in the gun shows. Used ones, and they sold quickly. Might not be the straightest shooting revolver, but it's not meant for long range. I would definitely go for the stainless, it's by far the most popular. Any gun shows in your area? That might be the cheapest prices. The Bill Goodman shows are excellent. But you would have to go to the Dayton area for that.

http://www.gunshow.net/

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/ohio_gun_shows.htm

http://www.ohiogunshows.com/dates.html

I haven't fired too many wheelguns but it's hard to go wrong with a Ruger. No matter the type. I'm curious to know why you want a revolver for home protection. To each his own but I'd think a short barreled shotty would be a better option. Unless you've already gots one and just want to stack the cards. ;)

IP is right, shotgun is better. Less downrange damage, more initial firepower. Plus half of everyone will run at the sight of a shotgun. And forget the pistol grip with no stock thing. 357 will go through several houses before stopping. Somebody near here fired a 22 clear through one house into another by accident. Bullets are like little laser beams in modern houses. Stone or brick wall might stop something. Even cinder block won't always stop things like 9mm. Just be aware.

edit: Plus a shotgun is a big stick. Thump them with it.

I'll probably end up with an 18" pump (Benelli) to have a short barrel shotty. I shoot clays sometimes so I'd get a 28" or 26" for the Browning. I've never been in any life-threatening situation, but you don't think a 26" semi-auto could be swung around fast enough if the Ruger was out of reach?

Stand in a hallway, put the shotgun to your shoulder, swing around and see what happens. I put a short smooth bore slug barrel on an old 50 buck Mossberg, with tiny laser/LED combo flashlight bolted on under. Cheap but extremely effective...

I own a Ruger GP100 4in. blued and it is very accurate as long as you use 125gr cartridges, the most effective round in the .357 as far as self-defense goes. They are one of the most well-made revolvers in the world and the price is usually right. Of course if you ever have to fire a .357 indoors, say goodbye to your hearing. For home protection, I would stick to a .45 or a .40 with hollowpoints, which will decrease overpenetration.

I was hoping you'd chime in MadMax... when I searched for the Ruger you said you had one in one of the other threads.

Maybe I'll look at a .45 or .40 per your suggestion. Taurus Judge anyone?

http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?series=41

Ohh, and speedy - I've never heard of B&T??

What does this have to do with a motorcycle board... Can someone explain?

yup... everything...

Ohio Riders > Time Wasters > Off-Topic > Firearms

edit: actually, it's not a motorcycle board per se, it's a social gathering of friends who ride motorcycles. Work on motorcycles. Collect motorcycles. Etc... It's about the people, and their motorcycles.

Edited by ReconRat

What does this have to do with a motorcycle board... Can someone explain?
yup... everything...

Ohio Riders > Time Wasters > Off-Topic > Firearms

edit: actually, it's not a motorcycle board per se, it's a social gathering of friends who ride motorcycles. Work on motorcycles. Collect motorcycles. Etc... It's about the people, and their motorcycles.

and guns and politics and religion and boobies and with all the comments/arguing that ensues when such topics are posted.

Revolvers are very underestimated when it comes to self-defense, and most fights are over in less than six shots anyways, making the cylinder capacity a moot point. A Ruger GP100 will have six shots of explosive power but like I said before, if you want to continue to listen to that shitty rap music that's so popular today, don't fire a hot load indoors if you can help it. After all these years the .357 is still one of the best fight stoppers and the Ruger's look good too as a sort of bonus. I'll sell my Glock before I sell my revolver. Taurus guns are great until you need warranty work done to them and then, from what I hear, it's a nightmare. Go with a Glock, especially the Glock 30 in 45ACP, a VERY accurate gun from my experience.

I'll call them tomorrow during my lunch and see what they have to offer. I suppose I'll either need to bring or buy hearing protection (unless that's included with the rental)?

Ideally, I'd like to setup a safety course and CCW course for me and my g/f to take, then fire a few rounds afterwards to see if I really want to get the SP101 or .40 M&P I've been looking at. Or both!?

Yo...I showed you a good carry gun ya goof, PT-145. I picked up a Taurus GP100 for my wifes father-in-law. Stainless with a 4 or 5" barrel (can't remember exactly) old style with out the new safety features (which is more desirable actually). Used at the gun show, no paper work, $350. Nice clean gun, also know that .357's will shoot .38 specials also but there is a hell of a difference in recoil. I don't know if the Medina shows are still going but it's a good place to start for something used.

I was at B&T not too long ago and I don't recall them having many revolvers for rent. The guys there are...well...okay. A bit bias towards one brand though...Glock. And if you really want to get a decent deal we should take a run down to Fin-Feather-Fur in Ashland, LOTS of guns new and used. You will most certainly find something there and at a decent price. I won't be home until Friday late afternoon, but give me a call if you want to drive/ride down on the weekend.

I know you did... :)

You showed me a badass shotgun too, but I think the Browning might be better for me - I'll get a Nova pump with an 18" too for under the bed.

I just stopped at FFFO in Ashland today (I was in Mansfield for Mommas Day)... they're running specials on the SP101s ($449) and M&Ps ($499). Just having never fired a handgun in the last decade, I'd like to try some out at the range to see how different the .357 / .38 special are versus a .40. Then I was going to check prices at the Vermillon gun show later this month. Unless there's some added value of buying from a retailer like Gander or FFFO? I like the SP101s, but I really want the 3" GP in Stainless - you just can't find it anywhere. Ideally, I'd like to get something my g/f can use - in a pinch. Which makes the M&P nice because of the interchangeable backstraps - and I could make that my CCW gun... the SP is a nice size, but using it for CCW with the exposed hammer - I dunno.

Edited by JRMMiii

Yeah the lorain B&T is WAY to much into glocks. I have never rented there, They look to have a few less guns there to rent then stonewall does. They offer hearing protection there for rent, but if your getting into shooting just buy a set of your own. I use push in plugs myself dont much care for the fit of the earmuffs. The pt145 is a nice gun but i own one also !LOL We should all go to the range and let you try a couple out. 73_Pt_145_1.jpg

picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=3309&thumb=1 I love my XDm .40, it's a tad expensive, but well worth it and it is proving to be a great CCW, even though it is a bit on the large side. It is great for a first handgun because it give you everything you need to start out. Did i mention accurate and has a 16+1 capacity?