Home Security

Big A

Have been looking at the ring system for a minute. Definitely would like any feedback on that

I know we are only a couple days in, but so far we like it. I went with the 14 piece kit(i noticed after i got mine that if i would have gotten it off amazon you get a free dot). Our hardest part is remembering we have one now. We have linked it with Alexa so we can arm and unarm it that way also. When you disarm the system with Alexa it asks for a 4 digit code.

Their app and system is very simple and easy to follow. I had an issue with my base station and had to call in for support. The 2 people i talked with were very knowledgeable of the system and got it all straightened out very quick. After that the app guides you step by step with videos. It took me an hour or so to get it all set up. Within the app there are lots of settings that can be adjusted to your preference.

The key pad is very basic and plain, but easy to use. So far i have only used the app and Alexa to turn it on and off. The contact sensors are a little bigger and bulkier then i expected. On some of the windows they hit the blinds.

I have not installed the motion detector yet as we are getting ready to tear apart the house (moving the stairs from one section of the house to another). I am curious how they will work as we have a 120 LB dog. I did notice when setting up the system that there is 3 different sensitivity levels.

I like the fire/co listener so that we didn't have to buy all new smoke detectors for the other systems. I was a little disappointed that they do not have a glass break sensor but i suspect they will add one here soon.

We are going to try the system for a month or 2 to make sure we like it. We will probably look to add another listener, flood freeze sensor in our crawl space and then the doorbell and some cameras.

Happy with my adt system paired to two ring doorbells. At the end of the day, I’d recommend keeping guns around the house in case of an intruder, and good insurance. The best security system in the world wont deter someone hell bent on killing or robbing you. Insurance pays for lost/stolen items, and the alarm system warns me someone’s coming. I also have a driveway chime which is probably the most helpful thing when we are home

• 4 months later...

Thought I would add in a quick update on Amazon's new Blink XT2 Camera system. In short, they did a great job with this system.

I've had 5 cameras running on the exterior of our home and property with great success. I still run and compare them to our two ADT HD Cameras that are wifi as well but plugged in for power vs the lithium batteries on the Blink and honestly both are great but the edge in terms of interface goes to Blink. They have better IQ too as they are 1080p vs 720p.

I run a mesh network so wifi coverage is awesome and with my router I can configure the perimeter it serves too so I can be assured of good range for the cameras.

Reading through any set of reviews on Amazon is helpful but IMO most of the negative ones are due to poor networks. Our live view times are under 6-8 seconds and the motion is easily configurable so there are not only no false alarms but it catches things pretty darn fast with the right settings.

Cliffs: If you're looking for a good camera system, it's a great value with excellent performance. Add in our 3 dogs and we pretty much know what's going on outside and as Kurt notes, so long as you are prepared as your own first responder, all should be good.

Thought I would add in a quick update on Amazon's new Blink XT2 Camera system. In short, they did a great job with this system.

I've had 5 cameras running on the exterior of our home and property with great success. I still run and compare them to our two ADT HD Cameras that are wifi as well but plugged in for power vs the lithium batteries on the Blink and honestly both are great but the edge in terms of interface goes to Blink. They have better IQ too as they are 1080p vs 720p.

I run a mesh network so wifi coverage is awesome and with my router I can configure the perimeter it serves too so I can be assured of good range for the cameras.

Reading through any set of reviews on Amazon is helpful but IMO most of the negative ones are due to poor networks. Our live view times are under 6-8 seconds and the motion is easily configurable so there are not only no false alarms but it catches things pretty darn fast with the right settings.

Cliffs: If you're looking for a good camera system, it's a great value with excellent performance. Add in our 3 dogs and we pretty much know what's going on outside and as Kurt notes, so long as you are prepared as your own first responder, all should be good.

Thanks for updating this. We are moving this month and would like to finally actually get cameras around the house and in the garage. I think this will probably be the route we go... now to go search threads on home networks....

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Thanks for updating this. We are moving this month and would like to finally actually get cameras around the house and in the garage. I think this will probably be the route we go... now to go search threads on home networks....

I did linksys mesh and love it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you want a phenomenal home network, go with a Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway, a decent PoE Switch, as many of the Unifi AC-Lite access points as you need (these are amazing) ALSO Ubiquiti has a Unifi line of cameras as well. I'm not familiar with the cameras, but I'm sure they are fantastic.

Ubiquiti stuff is higher end on pricing in this thread but their network stuff is absolute top notch and you cannot go wrong. When people ask me what to buy I ALWAYS recommend Ubiquiti. When asked why and if spending so much is really necessary I say "if you buy this I will install and configure it for you. I will not help you with any other system. I will do this because I will never have to come back and fix your Ubiquiti setup."

Tim, do you have your cameras on a schedule? Im still trying to decide what to do with mine. Its a catch 22 for me as in I dont want to just let it run all the time because then my phone is blowing up with motion notifications, but I'm also worried Im gonna miss something if Im not home when I typically would be and its turned off.

Tim, do you have your cameras on a schedule? Im still trying to decide what to do with mine. Its a catch 22 for me as in I dont want to just let it run all the time because then my phone is blowing up with motion notifications, but I'm also worried Im gonna miss something if Im not home when I typically would be and its turned off.
Taking to PM

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk