Dash Cams - thoughts and recommendations?

Geeto67

Hey all,

After two close calls this weekend, one with a road raging TSA agent and one with a cell phone zombie, I am thinking I may want to install a dash cam in my car. However, I am starting from knowledge point zero on this, although I do play with car and bike mounted action cams those are temporary.

So where do I begin?

I want to do this for under $100 per car, is that an unreasonable cost?

I want it to turn on with my ignition, but am a little leery about hard wiring it in with cars with the CAN BUS system.

I would like it to maybe be transferable to the motorbikes if possible, but I am fine with just riding with the action cams on them if it is not possible.

I don't want it to need my phone to operate. Data can be expensive some times and my aging iphone is already running out of memory and starting to act buggy. maybe having it store data on a sim card since I am already setup for that.

so thoughts? recommendations?

I bought a Roav c2 dash cam a while back from Newegg for $38. pop in a memory card and it writes over itself as needed. i have it plugged into a cigarette lighter port on my TL and it comes on with ignition on and works great. super easy to get the video if need be. Also has a feature where if the camera gets jarred it goes into accident recording mode. not sure what that does, but its a thing. Got a 16gb memory card for like $12 for it and i figure that would hold at least a weeks worth of data.

https://www.amazon.com/4-Lane-Wide-Angle-G-Sensor-Recording-Charger/dp/B0742DD36K

there are alot of ways you can do it and most honestly record to MicroSD.

I personally have a Blackvue DR-650s-2ch system with their power magic pro system. The dash cam just plugs into the power magic pro and then power magic pro is hardwired into the car or you can do add a fuses. The power magic pro monitors the battery in the car along with having a timer. It can be configured to turn off after a set time frame or when the battery gets to a certain voltage.

The blackvue is on the high end of the price gamut but I went this route because I wanted something small and built in GPS. IIRC I have transferred this from 4 different cars now and really dont want to drive with out a dash cam.

I think my dad has a Yi dash cam and seems to like it. I need to get my wife a dash cam soon because she is always saying how crazy people drive but I feel like its her not them.

I bought this two years ago. Works great. Has good audio as it can pick up stuff outside of the car very well. Upgrade to at least a 32gb card if you're going to run 1080. I got one for Christmas for $6 off Amazon when they were doing some sale on them. I am running it off the adapter plug and having the wiring tucked under everything. It works for me as the one plug in the back always has power and the camera will turn itself on and off if there's movement.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Capacitor-GPS-Stealth/dp/B00TXR2P40/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=a118+cam&qid=1552921105&s=wireless&sr=1-2-catcorr

I use a Yi camera too. They're emerging, available on Amazon and meets your price point. There are features that you don't really need but can be helpful: (bluetooth and wireless connectivity mean you can access it on your cellphone and use it for live view, back up cam, etc.)

I use a Yi camera too. They're emerging, available on Amazon and meets your price point. There are features that you don't really need but can be helpful: (bluetooth and wireless connectivity mean you can access it on your cellphone and use it for live view, back up cam, etc.)

Which model Yi? I have a Yi action cam right now and love it.

Just wire one in every car. Last thing you want it to have to move it around. Set it and forget it. Can just use a add-a-fuse and tap into an unused but keyed power source.

In both our cars I just bent a piece of aluminum stock, bombed it black, and attached my cameras up behind the mirror using the mirror mounting.

mCEZ0HXl.jpg