Shotgun for clay shooting?

zeitgeist57

I've got two clay shooting events coming up in May, I think both are at Cardinal. The last time I did the course at Blackwing, I had a friend's shotgun (instead of the rental) and I did really well...would like to see from CR Gun Crew what a good setup would be if I invested a few hundred into a good kit so I can show up and show out. :D

Looking for advice, pricing. TIA!

Any time you go shooting its Clay shooting.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Oh you.... :lol:

You want a pump or semi auto? What's your price point?

Really, I'm looking for recommendations on what works well from a cost-quality standpoint: easy to set-up and maintain, nothing too fancy. I would think a side-by-side shotgun would be the simplest way?

Can you get something good to great for $200-250?

Typical CR responses.

Clay: "Hey guys, I need a gas sipper. Pref FWD 4cyl with 4 doors. Whatcha recommend?"

CR: "Have you looked into a Veyron?"

Howard already answered your question for your price point. $200-250 doesn't go as far these days. That's the price point for a break action single shot 12 gauge new.

Clay it’s a little more but look for a used Remington 1100. It’s semiauto and usually have different choke options.

A Remington 1100 would be a great suggestion so if anyone can find me one for $250 or less let me know and I'll buy a few. "It's a little more," typically doesn't mean, "it costs 4 times what you want to spend."

For clay shooting I’d go semi auto. They’re more expensive but it’ll be better on the long run if that’s your purpose for the gun

Semi-Auto

$200-250

Pick one.

Unless you're talking some crap brand you aren't finding a good one for that range.

benelli overunder

I love Benelli shotty's. Great suggestion. (Yeah, I am pretty sure this is a sarcastic response, but just to help Clay I've provided a link.)

I bought my Remington 1100 for $100. A lady said she had her sons shotgun and did I want it. I yes how much. She said $100 but didn’t know even what it was. I said sold. It was a Remington 1100 almost new in the box.

I bought my Remington 1100 for $100. A lady said she had her sons shotgun and did I want it. I yes how much. She said $100 but didn’t know even what it was. I said sold. It was a Remington 1100 almost new in the box.

I mean this without ANY sarcasm: NICE!

Now, go find Clay one and find me about 12 for that price please. :D Won't happen.

That was actually my gun. I have reported it stolen. Hand it back over, and I'll drop the charges.

Second the 1100 if you can find one. It's what I grew up shooting clays with. I now have the .410, 20, and 12.

I'd gladly lend you one if it doesn't work out Clay. I also have an 870 express.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I've been kicking around the idea of starting shooting clays. Buds Guns out of Kentucky has some interesting options. Over under seems to be the king of shooting clays. Here are a couple I was looking at. They are all over your price point, but not by that much.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/712005530/stoeger+31030+condor+12ga+28

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/61681/maverick+over%2funder+over%2funder+12+gauge+3%22+2+capacity+28%22+ba

I cannot speak for either one of these, just what I was looking at.

Typical CR responses.

Clay: "Hey guys, I need a gas sipper. Pref FWD 4cyl with 4 doors. Whatcha recommend?"

CR: "Have you looked into a Veyron?"

Howard already answered your question for your price point. $200-250 doesn't go as far these days. That's the price point for a break action single shot 12 gauge new.

A Remington 1100 would be a great suggestion so if anyone can find me one for $250 or less let me know and I'll buy a few. "It's a little more," typically doesn't mean, "it costs 4 times what you want to spend."

Semi-Auto

$200-250

Pick one.

Unless you're talking some crap brand you aren't finding a good one for that range.

I love Benelli shotty's. Great suggestion. (Yeah, I am pretty sure this is a sarcastic response, but just to help Clay I've provided a link.)

Okay, but that's like making a thread

"Hey, I want a car that runs 11's in the 1/4 but also handles well for auto cross. Budget $5000. Suggestions?"

When you have criteria like Clay provided, there is no "good" answer. Clay is going to have to either spend more money for a good gun for the purposes he's stated or he's going to be cheap and buy a piece of shit that he will likely have to replaced within a year. Most of us are simply trying to persuade him into not rushing and maybe saving a little more for something better, either because we've made this mistake before or we know people who have. I bought my Remington 870 for $250 on sale. I tried taking it clay shooting at Blackwing and it did "okay" at best. 18" barrel, pump action definitely better suited for the purposes I bought it for, home defense.

Guys, definitely not rushing in and I do appreciate everyone's insight. The easy thing is to just use a rental. Just wanted to get some first-hand experiences with equipment and budgets.

I've got a Mossberg 500 but it's a .410 with an 18" barrel (home defense)...couldn't hit a gallon milk jug at 30ft. :lol:

I've shot a shitload of sporting clays at Cardinal over the past few years (like 8000rd a couple summers ago). Personally, I would HATE to run an 870 or 500 for sporting clays, trap, or skeet. If you're playing by the rules, you're typically going to be engaging 2 clays rather quickly. Good luck doing that with a pump. It can be done, but it sucks.

I'd try to find a used CZ O/U if I were you. I'd bet you could find one for ~$300. They can be had for ~$500 new, depending on model. Stoeger also wouldn't be a bad, albeit cheap, option. New, they can be had for ~$450.

If you want to go the semi-auto route, good luck finding an 1100 that isn't a busted up POS for your price range. Look into the Mossberg SA-20's. ~$500 new, obviously cheaper if used. I'm not usually a Mossberg fanboi, but a buddy of mine who is way more into sporting clays than I am has one, and I was pleasantly surprised when I shot it. It's so light, it's laughable, but it was fun as hell to shoot.

I'll also rent you my Browning 525 Citori O/U for $5/day with a $5000 safety deposit.

Or better yet, rent one there. Probably the easiest option.

Guys, definitely not rushing in and I do appreciate everyone's insight. The easy thing is to just use a rental. Just wanted to get some first-hand experiences with equipment and budgets.

I've got a Mossberg 500 but it's a .410 with an 18" barrel (home defense)...couldn't hit a gallon milk jug at 30ft. [emoji38]

Borrow mine and see if you like either. I used a modified choke most of the time for clays if I remember right.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

When you have criteria like Clay provided, there is no "good" answer. Clay is going to have to either spend more money for a good gun for the purposes he's stated or he's going to be cheap and buy a piece of shit that he will likely have to replaced within a year. Most of us are simply trying to persuade him into not rushing and maybe saving a little more for something better, either because we've made this mistake before or we know people who have. I bought my Remington 870 for $250 on sale. I tried taking it clay shooting at Blackwing and it did "okay" at best. 18" barrel, pump action definitely better suited for the purposes I bought it for, home defense.

Your problem was taking an 18" barrel home defense gun out and thinking it would perform well. That's why it did "okay" at best. Not because it's a Remington or an 870 but because it's the shortest barrel you can legally own and terrible for accuracy. YOU can be pretty good but, as with most things, use the right tool for the right job.

I'm a hunter. I'd be a fool to take an 18" home defense shotgun into the woods and expect IT to perform. It would be my fault if I didn't get anything due to choosing to take the wrong firearm with me.

Good info, Clay. Short read and right to the point.

Another decent write up.

Nobody uses an 18" shotgun for anything other than fun and defense (which they hopefully never have to actually do).

Edited by Otis Nice

Your problem was taking an 18" barrel home defense gun out and thinking it would perform well. That's why it did "okay" at best. Not because it's a Remington or an 870 but because it's the shortest barrel you can legally own and terrible for accuracy. YOU can be pretty good but, as with most things, use the right tool for the right job.

I'm a hunter. I'd be a fool to take an 18" home defense shotgun into the woods and expect IT to perform. It would be my fault if I didn't get anything due to choosing to take the wrong firearm with me.

Good info, Clay. Short read and right to the point.

Another decent write up.

Nobody uses an 18" shotgun for anything other than fun and defense (which they hopefully never have to actually do).

At the time it was my first time clay shooting, it was for a work event, rentals were available with us in our group and I had only shot my 870 once at the range prior to going to this. I saw it as an opportunity to get some more practice with it for free. Obviously it wasn't the ideal gun for clay shooting and that's why I didn't recommend it.