Encourage me to make a bad desicion?

coltboostin

Why Im lookin'

I like Caymans. Every time I see one, I love it. This would a "wheels and done" DD

Wants-

09+ Mo engine, Mo Powa, Supposedly no IMS problems like olders years.

This car is mis listed. Listed as an Auto- has a 6 speed so I think its flying under the radar. the next cheapest 09+ is going for 23k!! What would CR do?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=503233941&zip=44011&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D44011%26startYear%3D2009%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceASC%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Don%26modelCodeList%3DCAYMAN%26makeCodeList%3DPOR%26searchRadius%3D0&startYear=2009&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=CAYMAN&makeCodeList=POR&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=POR&modelCode1=CAYMAN&clickType=listing

Based on the second price you mentioned that looks like a no-brainer to me. My one thought if if the car is sitting and not selling because it is mis listed they might be a little more flexible with price. My other thought would be "what's wrong with it"? I suppose if it comes with a decent warranty ....

Encourage me to make a bad decision

Ok, try meth. Try it, just once, what harm could it do? Everybody's doing it. Lol.

Seriously though, did you zoom in on the dash pic? This thing has 134,862 miles on it. Holy crap that's a ton of miles. I don't know if I would touch it without a giant stack of service receipts. It may be a cheap porka, but that's the kind of porka that stabs you in the ribs and steals your wallet off the nightstand. I know you service your own stuff, but parts are still expensive.

Historically Porsche's Tan interiors haven't aged well but that one looks really nice for the mileage. Since you can wrench it's not going to be that bad of a car to maintain. A good friend of mine is sales manager for a Porsche dealer and he chooses to drive a base Cayman which should tell you something about how good they really are.

I know its just a cruising car but I would make sure you get a "S". They get better brakes, 6 speed, bigger engine and a bunch of other things. Also what Andy said the tan interiors tend to be terrible after age, Id definitely find a black interior.

I'd be amazed if that's not a scam. Price way under market, listed all kinds of wrong, sunroof? lulwut? sketchy lookin lot, mystery history...

but hey- if you want to roll the dice and maybe save $6k... contact them and see how sketch it is, then have someone else contact em and see what shakes loose

What does "PRICE BASED AFTER EQUITY OF $2000" mean? Is it 2000 more than 15k? Or maybe that is the buy-here-pay-here term.

https://www.bestpricecardealer.com/details/used-2009-porsche-cayman/52724075

I think it means you only get that price if you put $2K down and finance the rest through them. Cash buyers, $0 down payment buyers, and buyers with their own financing will probably get a different price.

case in point here is the same car for $15,000 with $1500 down financed through them:

https://cars.trovit.com/listing/2009-porsche-cayman-coupesalelow-payments-any-credit-approvd.F1lw1wX1jF1e

These moving target price ads are usually a sign that the BHPH dealer is really in the business of Repo and resell. Oh and with 134K miles I don't think third party credit is an option, not even penfed would touch that, so it's either a cash sale or BHPH.

It should also be telling that I just typed Porsche Cayman repo into google and that ad above was like the second hit (technically linked within the second hit).

Bruce' car is not beat to shit...wtf

Any white or light colored car with matte black tint over the lights just doesn't photograph well.

As a personal preference I think it makes it look like a teenager owns it, it's like plastidipped anything - just not a good look for convincing people that a car is well cared for, even it if is.

"Looks"

I have only assumed it wasnt as bad as the ad makes it out to be based on all the 'Ooohs and Ahhs' when the for sale thread was first put up.

I just know when my wifes white car gets anywhere near as dirty as the photos in the ad, it is like 2 months of abuse (read: general commute) and hers is in fact in the category of beat to shit, as hard as I try to keep it nice lol

You have a 420 whp awd sedan daily, a 580 whp weekend sports car, and a 875 whp awd shitbox racecar. I’m just not seeing the appeal in a 134k mile 10 year old base model entry level Porsche. You move to the beat of your own drum though, fire away.

Is Bruce’s still fs!?

Bruce's is an 06- smaller motor, less powa, more likely to have IMS failure

And 9k more which should put this in perspective.

do it

then 4g63 swap it

Not this one!

It’s been wrecked per carfax at least once .

Also wholesale values on them are about 7-9,000

Find me one for 9k non salvage and running, anywhere, please :)

Seriously though, did you zoom in on the dash pic? This thing has 134,862 miles on it. Holy crap that's a ton of miles.

My BMW is about to turn 160k and is way nicer, faster, and a better drive than the NEW Ford rental I had yesterday. Its a toy and I can turn a wrench. If I trust the car miles dont matter.

A good friend of mine is sales manager for a Porsche dealer and he chooses to drive a base Cayman which should tell you something about how good they really are.

good to know.

Well when I was looking at 911s I considered a cayman, but then my son was doing research and found out they are more expensive to maintain because of the mid-engine design

Good to know

You have a 420 whp awd sedan daily, a 580 whp weekend sports car, and a 875 whp awd shitbox racecar. I’m just not seeing the appeal in a 134k mile 10 year old base model entry level Porsche. You move to the beat of your own drum though, fire away.

For the wife really. And for me once a month. ;)

Bruce's is an 06- smaller motor, less powa, more likely to have IMS failure

And 9k more which should put this in perspective.

How is a 3.4L smaller than 2.9? How is 300+hp less than 261?

Side note, watched Wheeler-Dealer last night. They did an IMS replacement on a 996. Bearing was going out at 65K miles. I will say if you're half skilled at wrenching (assuming you have the required tools) it didn't look terrible to do.