Smartwatch

Big A

I have been kicking around picking up an Android smartwatch. What do you have and or recommend. So far the gear S3 frontier is catching my interest most.

What are you looking to use it for most? I have the new Galaxy Watch and pair it with my Note 8. Best looking one thus far IMO. Had an original Gear S (rectangular one) for years until if finally wouldn't take a charge.

The biggest complaint I have now is the stock keyboard sucks. At least on the original S I could type on it without issue. Voice dictation works well though. I have mine with it's one cell plan and use it often. Again, works great. Has encountered a few overheats though using it on longer calls. Bands are easy to swap off daily even if you wish to pair it with your outfit, etc. I use everthing from a black / gray sport band to the metal shown here to a leather one too.

A minor complaint and typical Samsung bullshit is the software. When there's a glitch they rarely if ever address it. Pretty well known issue is it won't track floors if you're step counter. Never has and most out there have problems with it too.

Here it is with the stock ring:

original.jpg

I picked up a stainless one for like $10 off Amazon and like it better.

original.jpg

Tim summed it up nicely. It really depends on what you are wanting out of it. But for what it is I really do enjoy mine. I have the 46mm of the Samsung watch. It complements my s10 quite well. As he mentioned earlier the text pad is shitty. It does allow you to speak to text though. The functions for calling are awesome. The speaker is a bit quiet in noisy conditions but clear just the same. The range on the receiver is quite nice as well. My only complaint is it will not allow you to open most apps on the watch itself, it simply gives notifications of the app, or the option to open it on your phone for you. So using it independently of the phone is limited to mostly health tracker, calls/text, and weather. Overall it is a decent setup for the money. I was really surprised at all of complements on it when out and about. The finish is very Sturdy as well. I have yet to scratch any surface including the screen (knock on wood).

If you just want something to count steps on, read texts, and control the music on your phone - can't go wrong with a Fitbit watch.

I don't want to type messages on my wrist, I just wanted something that covered all the fitness stuff, let me read my txts, and let me know when someone was calling when my phone is in another room or in a gym locker. It has worked well for me so far and wasn't as expensive as an apple watch or any of the other more fancy watches.

If you just want something to count steps on, read texts, and control the music on your phone - can't go wrong with a Fitbit watch.

I don't want to type messages on my wrist, I just wanted something that covered all the fitness stuff, let me read my txts, and let me know when someone was calling when my phone is in another room or in a gym locker. It has worked well for me so far and wasn't as expensive as an apple watch or any of the other more fancy watches.

^^ this. I have a Versa too and like it for steps and fitness. Their interface both on a browser and phone is better than Samsung's. Tracks sleep way better too.

What are you looking to use it for most? I have the new Galaxy Watch and pair it with my Note 8. Best looking one thus far IMO. Had an original Gear S (rectangular one) for years until if finally wouldn't take a charge.

The biggest complaint I have now is the stock keyboard sucks. At least on the original S I could type on it without issue. Voice dictation works well though. I have mine with it's one cell plan and use it often. Again, works great. Has encountered a few overheats though using it on longer calls. Bands are easy to swap off daily even if you wish to pair it with your outfit, etc. I use everthing from a black / gray sport band to the metal shown here to a leather one too.

A minor complaint and typical Samsung bullshit is the software. When there's a glitch they rarely if ever address it. Pretty well known issue is it won't track floors if you're step counter. Never has and most out there have problems with it too.

Thanks for the input. it will mostly be to know if my phone is ringing/ have a new alert. would be nice to be able to answer calls and reply to texts also. phone is with work so do not think i would be looking at one that has its own line. The gear S3 i thought would be a good middle of the road option. couple more features that some of the cheap ones will not have but not 3-400 either.

I had a fitbit years ago and had issues with it breaking and not working. Fitbit did replace it a couple times but got tired of it. I will have to check out some of their options now.

I got my wife a cheap one off Amazon. she likes it but just wanted it to tell time and see if she got texts while at work. I will have to check around on that site some. for what i am looking to do with it, maybe i am better off going the cheaper route, at least to see how much i end up using one.

I had a fitbit years ago and had issues with it breaking and not working. Fitbit did replace it a couple times but got tired of it. I will have to check out some of their options now.

I went through fitbit flex's like candy at one point. Had 3 of them, all replaced by fitbit with new ones under warranty and then bough a new one when out of warranty. It was maddening but I really liked having something track exercise for me instead of me doing it manually.

I bought a fitbit Blaze watch when Fitbit was blowing them out on clearance to make way for the Versa and Ionic. I have had mine since november 2017 and it hasn't failed once. I bought my father one for xmas as well and he broke his charger under warranty and they replaced the whole setup with another watch and charger and he hasn't had an issue since. I bought my wife a versa in October 2018 and it does twice as much stuff as mine does and hasn't given her a single issue yet.

I have looked at the Ionic several times and I just can't justify it. For starters I don't want a GPS watch - most of my exercise is gym based not outdoor based and also I don't want something tracking me when I leave my phone behind. I don't need my watch to pay for stuff or read the times, I have a real computer for that (and a phone). About the only cool thing I think it does is store 300 songs and pair direct with blue tooth headphones, but my wife's versa does that as well. At $250 it seems pricey, but isn't the series 4 apple watch like $400 and the S3 like $300?