Colorado For Colorado

Bigbird

Well yeah, how are you getting into the mountains? You're cramming into something the same size as a compact car and throwing all your gear in the bed. Dogs will be sitting on kids laps, gear is exposed....

Minivan is the ultimate lifestyle vehicle.

Was thinking cap+roof rack for all that.

When I moved out here to Colorado I ended up selling my Silverado because I couldn’t register it here because of emissions with the 6L swap. I ended up buying an STI for a fun car, and an really nice t100 truck to take out in the mountains. I think a fun car and an older 4Runner or something similar would be better than a new truck. Off road here is a lot different because there are so many rocks instead of dirt/mud like you’re probably used to. I looked at a lot of trucks/suvs before I bought my truck. I decided I’d be better off with something I wasn’t always worried about scratching or scraping up against a big rock. After buying and doing all the maintenance that was never done to it (timing belt/water pump/oil pump and all new suspension everything) and new tires(BFG A/T KO2)I have less than $5500 into it. I also dd it most of the time to work.

I would wait until you get out here before you get something you think you want and wish you hadn’t later. We go out to the mountains every weekend and I wouldn’t want a new truck to go to some of the awesome places that are out here.

Where are you going to live in Colorado when you get here?

We'll be in Aurora, near or on Buckley. I don't know if I'd be trying to do anything that extreme off-road.

Personally I would say Tacoma quad cab. It fits the wife and I plus 3 13 y/old boys great. I looked at a Colorado and wasn't happy with the seating position felt like it sat too low (like a car). The Frontier wasnt bad if you got the PRO X4 models and the engine has more pep than the Tacoma (didnt have that throttle by wire lag) As for the Jeep truck they look great but for the money a base one is more that a base Tacoma 4 door off road which gets you a rear locker. The Tacoma auto trans can be a bit picky but from what I have read there are several TSBs to address issues with gear hunting in the higher gears. But you also have a manual option which I love with mine. The only real complaint most have are the stock tires are too street-ish.

YfVoAEn.jpg?1

Yeah. Tacoma was my initial thought. But I've read they're more cramped inside than the Colorado. I'll have to go drive both of them honestly.

I'm a huge proponent of minivans for people/stuff carrying. There really is no better vehicle to own and operate for that duty.

However, having been to CO annually (mostly trips to Breckenridge), I will say that good tires and 4WD is very helpful. It's not necessarily the trip you're planning that you need it; it's the fact that - especially in winter - your RETURN may turn treacherous with snow/ice. Normal elevations when the road is dry or a little wet can turn impassable.

We'll be in Aurora, near or on Buckley. I don't know if I'd be trying to do anything that extreme off-road.

If you’re only going to be going camping and driving on dirt roads you’ll be fine with a 4wd Colorado. That’s mostly what we do, but when you do go off road it gets rough quick. Some times the snow does come hard and fast and unexpected so good tires are a must. It snowed 10” 2 weeks ago with no mention of snow on the weather until the same day.

You’ll love it out here. More than 300 sunny days a year with really low humidity. You can see the mountains from pretty much everywhere. We wish we would have moved here 20 years ago.

If you’re only going to be going camping and driving on dirt roads you’ll be fine with a 4wd Colorado. That’s mostly what we do, but when you do go off road it gets rough quick. Some times the snow does come hard and fast and unexpected so good tires are a must. It snowed 10” 2 weeks ago with no mention of snow on the weather until the same day.

You’ll love it out here. More than 300 sunny days a year with really low humidity. You can see the mountains from pretty much everywhere. We wish we would have moved here 20 years ago.

I'm really excited to get out there. It's a 4 year controlled tour, so I don't have to worry about getting deployed again. I was actually planning on getting out of the Air Force when I got back from my deployment this spring, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to live out there and get some really neat training and job experience. The thought is, if we really like it we'll stay. If not, it's probably back to Columbus. It'll be weird being more than a day's drive from home. The only other time I've been that (effectively, like requiring a plane ride) far away was when I was stationed in California, but that was only 7 months. It'll be an adjustment, but I think it will be good for us and I hope my boys (idk about the 1 year old just yet haha) will enjoy it.

Buckley is cool to work at, getting to see the jets and helicopters. I’ve worked on the giant hangar doors maybe 10 times in the last couple of years.

Get ahold of me when you get out here and I’ll give you a list of my favorite places to go go out here.

Thanks guys! I've never had a blue vehicle before, and wasn't too sure about it, but once I saw it in person I loved it. Plus it was the only one they had that had a bed liner haha. I've already been thinking about the lower valance. I think the Colorado guys call it the air dam. Seems like it should only take like 20 minutes to take off. Definitely considering it, but really just enjoying the truck right now!