Detached Garage Debate

Sully

My shop is 26x40, wood frame with metal roof and siding. The ceiling is insulated and the walls are too. All this was done by the previous owners. They used rolled insulation on the walls and covered it with partial board, then painted it. Overall, it’s fine. I have a 80,000btu mounted heater in there and that is plenty in the winter. Go as big as you can afford. Can never have too much room.

In the township that I'm in, my permit is good for 2 years. I do want as large of a garage as I can afford, but to get the most bank for my buck, I'm going to have to try to do as much of the build myself as possible. So I'm looking for something that I'm going to be able to do mostly myself. I just don't know which route to take right now and until I figure this out, I can't apply for the permit.

I have (probably stupidly) decided to do this as well. I had a good price from an Amish builder, but doing it myself I can still get concrete etc...for the price of paying to have it erected.

Check out diy polebarns, Hansen buildings, and Holmes lumber. They all deliver in Ohio and provide stamped drawings.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Be sure to check in the building materials section of Menards. We did our steel roof through them and they had plans for everything. They do garages and pole barns too. To have someone do our roof was between $15k and $30k for a 2190sqft ranch. We did it for $4800 with Menards planning, it includes everything you’ll need for your build, down to how many screws. Their out buildings are the same process at the roof we did.