General Motors strike

Cordell

Bullshit.

Im calling complete bullshit. The only thing i can even remotely fathom is that someone dropped the ball on actually calling an electrition, or that there was more setup than you are letting on. Its also possible that there was another reason you werent allowed to do it, (such as a safety factory of stuff around the machines- im spitballing here) and they wanted to make sure your equipment wouldnt be fucked up by being plugged into a wrong outlet.

however, im still calling bullshit.

Call bullshit but this is reality. The machine was moved maybe 50 feet within the same room to make room for a new machine coming in, the machine had been plugged in and running fine for the previous 5 years. Our equipment was the only type of equipment in the room. There wasn't a new drop or outlet that it was being plugged into, it was essentially on the same panel as it was the previous 5 years. My contact signed off on our site prep check list that everything was ready for us to come in and complete the job in one day. There was more setup yes, about 5 minutes worth of making sure the connections in our controller were still correct, not something that would have had to of been done with this type of move. There were 2 electrical connections that needed to be made, one for the PC side which their IT had already taken care of before I arrived, and the controller. According to my contact the electrician was schedule to meet us when I arrived. Apparently this is not the first time a contractor has waited on him, and it had been a problem in the past. I can only speculate that he was hoping I would get frustrated and just plug it in myself so he could file a grievance. According to my contact, this is a common practice. He also said there isn't much they can do for recourse either due to union rules. GM is not the only place I have ran into these type of issues so to say it is all UAW would be unfair, but there are similar rules in place across different unions.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic