My Crash This Weekend

600ZZ4eb

Good morning,

First let me say that I Thank God I’m still here and I’m glad it wasn’t worse than it was. I had an unfortunate mishap this weekend with my Christian Sport Bike ride Saturday. Me and another guys crashed on ST RT 555 which is South of Zanesville. We were only on the road about 2 minutes or so when we approach a slight sweeper that tightened up at the end. The turn wasn’t really that bad and we had ridden on plenty other turns that day that were tougher to get through. With that said we’ll have to chalk this one up to new rider error. I can’t speak for the guy in front of me, but I was victim of target fixation. When you’re in a turn you are supposed to look through the turn because where you look the bike will go. Well, the gentlemen in front of me went wide in the turn and ran off the road. I saw this out of the corner of my eye but continued to look through the turn. However, once he hit the ditch I saw a big splash of water and that caught my attention and I fixated on the area the splash came from….that was my mistake. I locked up my rear tire, not wanting to use the front brake in mid lean (that would have caused a crash as well – go figure), causing me to straighten up but not stop in time to avoid going off the road myself. If I had continued to look through the turn and then stop to check on the guy I would have been ok. Unfortunately this was not the case and instead of having one incident on the ride Saturday we had two. This was the first time I have been down in this manner and I hope it is the last. Again, I have to Thank God for allowing me to still be here and to have been with a stellar group of guys that help the other guy and myself get our bikes out of the ditch and back home. I just have a little soreness in my neck as of today and the other guy has a twisted ankle. When you see the bikes in the pics you would think we would have been hurt worse.

The video below shows the splash and then me going off the road. I am wearing the red jacket (full gear, leather jacket, boots, and pants) and my bike is the black one in the pics (in case you didn’t know)

[ATTACH]1015[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1016[/ATTACH]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Q15iDgEr4

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.ohio-riders.net/album.php?albumid=359

Here are the rest of the pics from the ride/crash this weekend. Overall we had a great time. I got to finish 555 on the back of a Goldwing - Kept things that I would have loved to ride the rode myself, but still had a good time seeing how it was gonna be. That Goldwing can move. I believe its an 1800. Anyway 555 north of 550 had a lot of stuff on it right before you hit 78.

555 is a nasty tricky road. My first down wasn't far from there. Glad you're ok. Target fixation happens to most people at one point or another (bad enough to go off), it's a hard lesson to learn. Oh and good on you for wearing your gear!

Now get back on the horse asap.

Glad your OK - you're doing it wrong! :) Keep the rubber side down!

Seriously I'm glad you and your buddy are in one piece. Anyone that's crashed knows the feeling, especially being able to get back up and be thankful to be one piece and generally OK.

Be safe!

New desmohio member with a 1098s just went down on 555 last week too. Something tells me that road is not read yet. It was clean last year, sounds like, not so much this year.

Glad you are alright though. Crashing sucks.

Edited by vw151

Glad that you are OK man......

My 2 cents (looking at the first guy)...get your suspension tuned....even in not too tricky turns you know your steering input but that f***ing bike won't turn......making you run wide....don't ask me how I learned :o

Yeah, we where both truely blessed it wasn't worse. His bike is totaled of course, but i heard he may keep it and just replace the front end or his buddy (that took a trailor to pick them both up) may buy it from him and peice it back together....i think he said his wife wants it. It was a 2008 CBR 600. My bike is now missing a left turn signal (i have flushmounts sitting at the house already), left frame slider snapped off (part of the bolt is still in the hole so i have to figure out how to get that out), the upper fairing above my left mirror snapped off (i have the piece) and some said there is some kind of plastic weld that can fix that - with a little sanding and paint it would look good, the left side fairing is cracked by where the frame slider was - purely cosmetic, the left footpeg snapped off so i had to ride 3 or 4 miles in first gear - probably could have road it home if i could have got it to 3 gear, and windscreen is trashed. Everything else looks good, so i think i'm looking at $50 to $100 parts just to get her running and a couple more bucks to get her looking good again. 001.gif I'm very Thankful!!! eusa_pray.gif

As soon as i can get the flush mounts on and new left foot peg i'm riding again....i have to tackle the thing that took me out so i'll be heading back down to that same spot before long....

Thanks for all the well wishes!