Lithium jump starter recommendation

Smokey

My wife’s car loves to kill its battery especially in the cold. I figured it’s a good time of year to get a lithium jump starter so she’s not stranded and/or it could make quick work of me having to jump it in the morning if needed.

Anyone have any experience or recommendation? I’m looking at models that claim they’ll do up to “6L gas engines” so it could work for my DD v8 if necessary too.

This is the one I’m leaning toward:

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B015TKUPIC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3VK7V58F5GDMG&keywords=antigravity+jump+starter&qid=1573334131&sprefix=Antigravity+ju%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRjBUM0c3NjY3WDJOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzk0MTY0MjhIQ1RZWEdSWjE5UCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzYzMTY0ODNKNkVZQktPV1pCJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Awesome video, thanks for the link! I should have known to check project farm I’ve looked at his videos before.

It’s especially a great video because he tests the starter I was looking at and it didn’t perform well. The Audew model that was his winner is now more expensive, but seems like a solid choice. I like that he tested them at 0 degrees too because my hope is to just throw this thing into her trunk until needed.

I have the NOCO you're looking at.

I used it to jump a 4cyl accord twice within 5 minutes in freezing temps when the booster was 75% charged. There wasn't an abundance of cranking power, but it started.

It failed to jump a totally dead 6cyl van (didn't even crank), but in all fairness that van took another vehicle with jumper cables over 15 minutes to jump. I actually think the booster would have done better with the dead battery disconnected.

I like that NOCO is an Ohio company, and it is a quality unit, but I'd go bigger than the GB40.

My wife’s car loves to kill its battery especially in the cold. I figured it’s a good time of year to get a lithium jump starter so she’s not stranded and/or it could make quick work of me having to jump it in the morning if needed.

Anyone have any experience or recommendation? I’m looking at models that claim they’ll do up to “6L gas engines” so it could work for my DD v8 if necessary too.

Do you have a float charger?

Yes have a small battery tender which I use when we leave the car for a period like going on vacation but would rather not have to use it regularly.

I ended up ordering the Audew 2000amp model. Funny enough they’re on backorder because of that project farm video but should still hopefully get here before we go out of town next and take her car. The $20-ish price difference between high and low priced units I was looking at wasn’t as important to me as it actually working when I needed it.

Thank you for all of the replies. I’m sure I’ll need to use it this winter so I’ll update the thread if I use it.

I have the NOCO you're looking at.

I used it to jump a 4cyl accord twice within 5 minutes in freezing temps when the booster was 75% charged. There wasn't an abundance of cranking power, but it started.

It failed to jump a totally dead 6cyl van (didn't even crank), but in all fairness that van took another vehicle with jumper cables over 15 minutes to jump. I actually think the booster would have done better with the dead battery disconnected.

I like that NOCO is an Ohio company, and it is a quality unit, but I'd go bigger than the GB40.

I can tell you that at least some of these lithium jump packs will not even turn on if they don’t sense some voltage. I decided a little over a year ago to buy the biggest thing Matco sells, and “it’s capable of starting semis!” Lol. At least that’s what they said. It jumps most stuff, but there have been many cases where shit is totally dead and it doesn’t do shit. For use around the shop the traditional big heavy jumper with a battery in it still has a place.

I realize the topic of this thread doesn’t involve heavy use and what you guys are using them for that they should work just fine. I would only want one to keep in a car for use in a pinch. I wouldn’t want one to use on a regular basis. When I need a new one for work I’ll be going back to the old style.

I can tell you that at least some of these lithium jump packs will not even turn on if they don’t sense some voltage. I decided a little over a year ago to buy the biggest thing Matco sells, and “it’s capable of starting semis!” Lol. At least that’s what they said. It jumps most stuff, but there have been many cases where shit is totally dead and it doesn’t do shit. For use around the shop the traditional big heavy jumper with a battery in it still has a place.

I realize the topic of this thread doesn’t involve heavy use and what you guys are using them for that they should work just fine. I would only want one to keep in a car for use in a pinch. I wouldn’t want one to use on a regular basis. When I need a new one for work I’ll be going back to the old style.

That's a great point. The NOCO has an "override" button for exactly that scenario, but thinking back, I may not have used it, which would explain why it didn't even try to start the van. I only owned it a couple days at that point and later learned about the override button. It might be worth looking into whether yours has a similar override.

That's a great point. The NOCO has an "override" button for exactly that scenario, but thinking back, I may not have used it, which would explain why it didn't even try to start the van. I only owned it a couple days at that point and later learned about the override button. It might be worth looking into whether yours has a similar override.

Mine does have an override button, but it still has to sense that it’s hooked to a battery, ie some level of voltage. You can’t hook it up with no battery and get it to turn on, I’ve tried.

I have the AntiGravity Micro-start xp10. It has plenty of amperage for just about anything. I've started tons of v8's and a few diesels with it and . And it has an override button as well. The clamp are the downfall although. They're way to light for heavier demands. Ive been through a few sets of clamps due to melting. With heavier duty clamps it would be perfect.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/micro-starts/xp-10/

Edit: looks like they sell heavier clamps. I may have to pick some up

Antigravity Batteries SMART CLAMPS, for NEW XP-1 or XP-3 Micro-Start Models Only https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XPTMK4S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_CK1ZDbC8WKJQ7

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up ordering the Audew 2000amp model. Funny enough they’re on backorder because of that project farm video but should still hopefully get here before we go out of town next and take her car. The $20-ish price difference between high and low priced units I was looking at wasn’t as important to me as it actually working when I needed it.

Think I'm going to go get one myself. Does it have the "booster" option? I want something that can jump a car with a completely dead battery/no battery if need be.

It does have the booster option but haven’t thankfully had to try it on a completely dead battery yet.

As predicted I’ve had to use this twice already and I’m very happy with the function. Charged it, threw it in the trunk, and it was ready to rock. Looks to use about 20% of the battery life of the jumper for each of the times I’ve used it so plenty of juice.