Framed David Kimble technical illustration - 1989 Corvette ZR1

Otis Nice

36"x26". A buddy of mine has this for sale. He's in the Westerville area. I don't know a thing about David Kimble, technical illustrations, or frames, but I told him I'd list in when he asked where he should sell it at.

He's asking $75. You can contact him directly. 614-893-8240. His name is Jason. Let him know you saw Randy's post on CR.

vette.jpg

vette2.jpg

vette3.jpg

vette4.jpg

So This isn't mine, but I can tell you a little more about these prints.

David Kimble is one of the best cutaway illustrators working today. If you want to know more about him his book is fantastic:

https://www.abebooks.com/David-Kimbles-Cutaways-Techniques-Stories-Behind/30571262530/bd?cm_mmc=ggl-_-US_Shopp_Trade-_-used-_-naa&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImouP34785wIVk6_sCh11fQ7HEAQYASABEgLaYvD_BwE

Kimble was brought in by GM in 1988 as a subcontractor to illustrate cutaways for the upcoming c4 Zr-1. He did numerous technical drawings for GM, the most famous of them are the blue 1989 model above, a full cutaway of just the LT5 engine, and an updated version of the above with a 1990 model. The car was originally slated for a 1989 MY release but was delayed till the 1990 MY.

As such the Kimbel drawing represents one of the 84 preproduction 1989 ZR-1s built and used for press but never released. The above print was also published in Car and Driver in 1989 as well. 3 ways you can identify the 1989 vs a production 1990 zr1 are the 1989 and earlier digital dash, the solid wheel covers, and the "LT-5" badge on the tail vs the "zr-1" badge that appeared on the 1990+ cars.

These hand signed posters are a wonderful piece of corvette memorbilia. however they are not super "Rare". They were offered by Chevy dealers in the parts department and also available for sale at auto shows, and most ZR-1 new buyers either got this one or the later red one when they bought the car. What makes this one extra nice and worth the money is that the poster was a really odd size and had to be custom framed if you wanted a nice one. My father used to have the 3 hand signed Kimble zr-1 cutaways hanging on the garage wall until a tub leak above the garage took out that wall and all three posters.