Who's tried meth??

cstmg8

Methanol injection that is. It's looking like e85 may require fuel system upgrades at my boost levels, so I'm exploring other options for stage one of my mods.

I also like the valve cleaning effect of meth on my DI engine.

1. Is meth inj a realistic option on a street vehicle?

2.Does it actually allow less fuel by raising the octane, or just raise the octane for performance?

3. Is anyone familiar with gm DI engines? I don't mind changing the in tank fuel pump to an LT4, if this will allow more fuel (e85) alone. I'm just not ready to tear into the engine for cam fuel line and injector upgrades.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

turbomustangs has all sorts of info on meth injection. Used it many many years ago with nothing more than a cold start injector, hobbs switch, pump, and a container to hold the meth on an omni glhs. just have to watch to make sure you dont run out.

Methanol injection that is. It's looking like e85 may require fuel system upgrades at my boost levels, so I'm exploring other options for stage one of my mods.

I also like the valve cleaning effect of meth on my DI engine.

1. Is meth inj a realistic option on a street vehicle?

2.Does it actually allow less fuel by raising the octane, or just raise the octane for performance?

3. Is anyone familiar with gm DI engines? I don't mind changing the in tank fuel pump to an LT4, if this will allow more fuel (e85) alone. I'm just not ready to tear into the engine for cam fuel line and injector upgrades.

My first concern would be the intake on your truck. Assuming those are similar to LS engines, the fluid distribution of meth is very poor to each cylinder. I know a lot of guys use it but if you do the research (Richard Holdener has a detailed video) you would second guess using it.

With that said, I've used it on several vehicles in the past with great success. One being a direct injected VW. It worked well at nearly 500whp. But the controller was specific for that engine as well.

If it was me I would hold out and do whats needed to upgrade to E85. I swear its whats kept my S/C'd BRZ running strong for several years of track abuse with zero mechanical issues. (knock on wood)

I ran meth on my Evo for years. You can use it to boost you octane and tune for maximum gain. I used it as a way to cool down the charged intake air. It’s safer that way. I’m still ok when the meth ran out. If you tune for octane/maximum tune, when the meth run out you better stay out of boost.

It’s been years, but aquamist made the best kit. And made sure you have couple failsafe built into, like alarm for low tank, check valves so meth won’t fill up your engine and cause hydrolock

I'm totally ignorant on your platform, but why would a cam need changed to run e85? Pump, injectors, and maybe fuel line depending on how restrictive it is?

The HPFP runs off the cam lobe. Aftermarket cams have upgraded lobes that increase output.

Yes, mechanical fuel pump on the motor. Runs off a cam lobe, you can get aftermarket with 10-35% increases in the fuel lobe.

Do you think that going through the blower would help or hurt with the even distribution to cylinders?

I may just go e85, but it seems as though there are a lot of benefits to meth.

I would go with the larger tank to hopefully make it between fill ups. I'll have to talk to the tuner about meth at wot vs low boost.

The fuel upgrades are inevitable, so maybe it's silly to add one more system to possibly fail?.

Yes, mechanical fuel pump on the motor. Runs off a cam lobe, you can get aftermarket with 10-35% increases in the fuel lobe.

Do you think that going through the blower would help or hurt with the even distribution to cylinders?

I may just go e85, but it seems as though there are a lot of benefits to meth.

I would go with the larger tank to hopefully make it between fill ups. I'll have to talk to the tuner about meth at wot vs low boost.

The fuel upgrades are inevitable, so maybe it's silly to add one more system to possibly fail?.

IIRC, boost doesn't make the distribution better or worse. I would be hesitant to use it other than if you just wanted to cool the charge air (placing it further away in the charge piping). But I wouldn't consider using it to control detonation, as in tuning with/for it. My $.02 of course.

Personally I think E85 is the way to go in your case. Im not a tuner or a builder but its the only route I would take in your situation if you looking to upgrade from where you are.

I've been on meth since 2008 and have had no issues. No motor problems and it does what I want it to, and what it is supposed to do. I can run higher boost, but I have not tuned to that yet. I can't say I have a downside to it on a turbo setup.I can't say for sure, but I think it does "clean as it goes". My use is as a trackable street car that tends to cruise a lot and do a few pulls from time to time. Edited by Mojoe

Meth is a little harder on aluminum than ethanol, but to be honest I dont think any of us are too worried about that. Talk to Turner or Scott Cordel on which meth kits seem to work the best. I cant remember which one they always preferred though. It definitely helps cool things down and allow for more boost and/or timing. I prefer going to e85, but meth injection is a proven platform. Hell, do both!!

I’ve used water/meth for years as others have mentioned. Similarly I didn’t tune for it and used it solely for lower intake temps and detonation resistance.

Upgrading your fuel system is likely better if you want to specifically tune for more power. If you’re doing a tune/upgrade your current fuel system can handle and want extra insurance then water/meth is a great option.

I’ve used water/meth for years as others have mentioned. Similarly I didn’t tune for it and used it solely for lower intake temps and detonation resistance.

Upgrading your fuel system is likely better if you want to specifically tune for more power. If you’re doing a tune/upgrade your current fuel system can handle and want extra insurance then water/meth is a great option.

This is probably the route I'll go. Fuel upgrades are looking unavoidable, so I'll just do both.

As soon as the Corona virus uncertainty is over.

I used methanol injection when the Grand National was still running. Worked great!

The general consensus to tuning for meth, was to get your base tune dialed in with no methanol injection. Once that was dialed in at a safe boost level, start adding meth until your A/F started going rich, add boost/timing, rinse and repeat until you are at a safe level. Some guys would go until they started seeing knock retard then back it off.

My kit was a progressive kit which added meth based on boost level, helped keep from bogging the engine down until everything balanced out. Look into Alkycontrol.com Julio (Razor) has been doing it for a while and knows his stuff, great guy and walked me through the tuning process personally after I installed the kit.

• 2 weeks later...